building a pc

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
buynit

• Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 0
building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:38 PM ( #1 )
i have been thinking about building a pc. i dont know anything at all about building one so i will be looking intoit but in the mean time what do you guys recomend? im looking to build something powerful that i wouldnt have to update for quite sometime..  im not talking a super pc either though, will $500-600 get me a powerful Pc
<message edited by buynit on Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:41 PM>
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:52 PM ( #2 )
Can't get you anything good for 600 bucks.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:55 PM ( #3 )
You could get a decent starter PC for $600, and over time upgrade a few things here and there to make it powerful.  For $600 you could run most current games on mediumish graphics setting.
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:10 PM ( #4 )
look for info about motherboards and buy one that is considered good, that way you'll be prepared for when you feel like doing a quick upgrade down the road. They come with instructions on how to build the PC like a lego like: the parts its supports, the size of the case, etc. When choosing a CPU and GPU visit benchmark websites and compare your options. In those benchmarks they give you price to performance ratio which makes it easier to decide what combo is appropriate for you and the kind of games you'll be able to run and at what quality.

Most PC gamers go for a weak CPU but powerful GPU to save up some money.  But if you want to run Dolphin and PCSX2 emulation to give some life to your old games then you need a good CPU with at least a benchmark of over 8,000.

www.cpubenchmark.net

www.videocardbenchmark.net 

Guide for choosing a motherboard:
http://www.davescomputertips.com/how-to-choose-a-quality-motherboard-for-your-computer/ 

<message edited by wishingW3L on Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:51 PM>
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:19 PM ( #5 )
B Man

You could get a decent starter PC for $600, and over time upgrade a few things here and there to make it powerful.  For $600 you could run most current games on mediumish graphics setting.

For $600 you can do way better than medium.

Anyway - you should really be posting here: http://forums.n4g.com/Official-PC-Build-Gaming-Build-Troubleshooting-Help-Thread-m885337-p83.aspx
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:34 PM>
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:59 PM ( #6 )
What are you guys talking about? You can get a very capable PC for around $650, and cheaper even. I'm planning on fitting a 7950 into something less than $600.
kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:09 PM ( #7 )
No you can't.
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:13 PM ( #8 )
If you exclude the price of a gpu, you can get a top of the line system for 600$. 
Then put in a GPU.

kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:17 PM ( #9 )
WildArmed

If you exclude the price of a gpu, you can get a top of the line system for 600$. 
Then put in a GPU.

This defeats the whole purpose.
Satanas

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:35 PM ( #10 )
WildArmed

Then put in a GPU.

Yes, but you can also not get a top of the line system and then put in a decent GPU, be within $600-700 and play games at High settings. Granted, you soon wouldn't be able to do that with the way PC games are headed, but you'd comfortably pull of Medium-High for a while as you can put a good GPU in a relatively cheap system, it's just that your CPU will bottleneck you if you cut back there.
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:46 PM ( #11 )

Off the top of my head:
I3 + mobo $200 4gb RAM $30-40
750W psu $80 (so you can upgrade in the future)
case $30
hdd $100
AMD 7850 gpu $150
dvd burner $15

Bam! around $600
Wait for sales to buy the components on newegg or ncix.com

Buy the new socket 1150 so you can upgrade the cpu a few years later if you want more performance. There are new AMD gpus around the corner that will give more performance for the price so you might want to wait for that. 

This will last you awhile if you don't mind not playing all the latest games on high. It should last doing medium easily for a couple years. If you spend $200 more you can get a killer GPU when the new AMD cards release that should last you awhile and will let you play on high. 
B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:48 PM ( #12 )
Satanas

B Man

Anyway - you should really be posting here: http://forums.n4g.com/Official-PC-Build-Gaming-Build-Troubleshooting-Help-Thread-m885337-p83.aspx

Depends on the type of game you're into.  I love games like Civ.  Those require not only a good GPU for graphics, but a good CPU as well.  If all he's playing is a FPS, he could skimp on the CPU, bringing the price down to his range. 

Regardless a $600 PC won't get you much longer than two years before you have no choice to start upgrading, even if you are ok with much lower graphics settings.
<message edited by B Man on Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:49 PM>
kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:50 PM ( #13 )
Seriously don't listen to these guys. You said you don't want to upgrade and then Flip comes with a freaking i3 as suggestion. With 600 bucks there's nothing to do.
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:56 PM ( #14 )
kon2

Seriously don't listen to these guys. You said you don't want to upgrade and then Flip comes with a freaking i3 as suggestion. With 600 bucks there's nothing to do.

For strictly gaming, an i3 is still pretty damn good. And for $600 that is probably the best option. 

Since it looked like my pc shat the bed, I'll be picking up a i3 soon then upgrading in 2 years when I'm done school and working. 
Satanas

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:30 PM ( #15 )
B Man

Satanas

B Man

Depends on the type of game you're into.  I love games like Civ.  Those require not only a good GPU for graphics, but a good CPU as well.  If all he's playing is a FPS, he could skimp on the CPU, bringing the price down to his range. 

Regardless a $600 PC won't get you much longer than two years before you have no choice to start upgrading, even if you are ok with much lower graphics settings.

I'll agree with the bold to an extent. But the second comment isn't necessarily true depending on which GPU you went with. The thing you're going to be upgrading most of the time is your GPU, especially if you are playing mostly GPU-intensive games that are not so hard on CPU for the most part (which is most games). Granted, many games have CPU-intensive segments which tend to be slightly irritating to play through even on decent CPUs. AMD CPUs almost always fair poorer in these situations.

Seeing as you have never built a PC before, nor do you really know anything about which CPUs would be worth purchasing, I would not be speaking as though your points are more valid than anyone else's here. 

The i3 4130 is actually very capable for an i3 processor. It's also very cheap. But if you're going to skimp on the CPU, you need to know that the kinds of games you're playing won't be CPU-intensive ones.

Having said that, going all out on the CPU never makes sense. You should always aim to allocate most of your budget on your GPU, unless gaming is not one of your priorities.
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:34 PM>
kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:36 PM ( #16 )
Satanas speaking out of his ass again, like usual. The PC I'm using right now was built by me 3 years ago.
Satanas

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:37 PM ( #17 )
kon2

Satanas speaking out of his ass again, like usual. The PC I'm using right now was built by me 3 years ago.

You are the least educated person I've seen who likes to post in this subforum, I don't think I'm alone on that sentiment.

OP, pay him no mind.
kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:39 PM ( #18 )
Yeah because my education is directly linked with my ability to give advice on PC parts. Way to go buddy.
Satanas

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:41 PM ( #19 )
kon2

Yeah because my education is directly linked with my ability to give advice on PC parts. Way to go buddy.

I thought it would have been obvious that I meant you are the least educated person on the subject in which we are currently discussing, which is computers.

This is a qualitative observation of mine based on the posts I've seen of yours in this subforum. I'm simply dissuading the OP, or anyone else for that matter, to give any credit to your dismissal of the comments other (more knowledgeable) posters have given.
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:42 PM>
kon2

Re:building a pc - Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:42 PM ( #20 )
No it isn't. 

He said he want to build a computer which he won't need to upgrade in years with just 600 bucks, this is not possible.

Prove me wrong and I'll buy you any steam game you want.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread