G-sync

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 457
  • Reward points : 0
G-sync - Friday, October 18, 2013 8:00 PM ( #1 )
So, AMD finally fix the problem and Nvidia revolutionize the solution.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-nvidia-g-sync-revolutionary-ultra-smooth-stutter-free-gaming

Sucks that it's proprietary (or seems to be at this point), but I'm excited to see this finally come through.
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:G-sync - Friday, October 18, 2013 8:33 PM ( #2 )

Bit disappointed.
Was hoping they'd name it nVidia Sync.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:G-sync - Friday, October 18, 2013 8:49 PM ( #3 )
Ducky

Bit disappointed.

Nvidia G-Sync is pretty close to Nvidia Sync. GeForce, G-Sync, seems to make sense.
ShAkKa

• Total Posts : 5909
Re:G-sync - Friday, October 18, 2013 9:01 PM ( #4 )
Satanas

Ducky

Bit disappointed.

Nvidia G-Sync is pretty close to Nvidia Sync. GeForce, G-Sync, seems to make sense.

N Sync is where he's getting at, I think...

No?, ok.

TooTall19

• Total Posts : 690
Re:G-sync - Friday, October 18, 2013 9:44 PM ( #5 )
The name makes me think of a g-string on my monitor.
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:G-sync - Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:05 AM ( #6 )
ZoyosJD

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-nvidia-g-sync-revolutionary-ultra-smooth-stutter-free-gaming

Sucks that it's proprietary (or seems to be at this point), but I'm excited to see this finally come through.

what problem did they fix?

Why are you excited for this pointless gimmick?

MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:G-sync - Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:20 AM ( #7 )
wishingW3L

ZoyosJD

Can't tell if serious...

AMD apparently had stuttering and/or latency issues before a recent driver update. How is this pointless? The option to V-sync at any frame rate is amazingly awesome if it works well. If I understand correctly, instead of the card matching the screen, the screen matches the card = no capped FPS/big frame drops or mouse lag. 
<message edited by MidnytRain on Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:21 AM>
Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:G-sync - Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:55 AM ( #8 )
MidnytRain

wishingW3L

ZoyosJD

Can't tell if serious...

AMD apparently had stuttering and/or latency issues before a recent driver update. How is this pointless? The option to V-sync at any frame rate is amazingly awesome if it works well. If I understand correctly, instead of the card matching the screen, the screen matches the card = no capped FPS/big frame drops or mouse lag. 

Yes. The screen will wait to update when the GPU tells it to. 
Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:G-sync - Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:39 AM ( #9 )
Can't wait til screen tearing, jaggies, and fps aren't an issue anymore. My pubes will be gray.

Letros

• Total Posts : 1264
Re:G-sync - Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:54 AM ( #10 )
This is really an awesome feature, Nvidia always has the little extras that keep me on the green team. Now, how long until that 20 nm Maxwell?

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:G-sync - Friday, October 25, 2013 1:49 PM ( #11 )
poor Nvidia gimmicks are going nowhere. AMD created an interface to allow the GPU to receive instructions 1 on 1 with the CPU. In other words, the GPU can feed itself with its own queue's.

http://wccftech.com/amds-heterogeneous-queuing-cpu-gpu-play-nice-nvidia-g-sync/

<message edited by wishingW3L on Friday, October 25, 2013 1:53 PM>
ZoyosJD

Re:G-sync - Friday, October 25, 2013 2:07 PM ( #12 )
wishingW3L

poor Nvidia gimmicks are going nowhere. AMD created an interface to allow the GPU to receive instructions 1 on 1 with the CPU. In other words, the GPU can feed itself with its own queue's.

Honestly, the article is grasping at straws comparing the two.

It will be nice to see if any general advancement comes out of this, but HSA/huma and fabric architecture seemed like better solutions than having the GPU setting queues.
Satanas

Re:G-sync - Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:44 AM ( #13 )
ZoyosJD

wishingW3L

Honestly, the article is grasping at straws comparing the two.

It will be nice to see if any general advancement comes out of this, but HSA/huma and fabric architecture seemed like better solutions than having the GPU setting queues.

Completely agreed with the bold. This is a complete apples-to-oranges comparison.
Letros

Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:29 AM ( #14 )
Anandtech review:

"After spending a few days with G-Sync, I’m just as convinced as I was in Montreal. The technology, albeit a relatively simple manipulation of display timing, is a key ingredient in delivering a substantially better gaming experience.

In pathological cases the impact can be shocking, particularly if you’re coming from a 60Hz panel today (with or without v-sync). The smoothness afforded by G-Sync is just awesome. I didn’t even realize how much of the v-sync related stutter I had simply come to accept. I’d frequently find a scene that stuttered a lot with v-sync enabled and approach it fully expecting G-Sync to somehow fail at smoothing things out this time. I always came away impressed. G-Sync also lowered my minimum frame rate requirement to not be distracted by stuttering. Dropping below 30 fps is still bothersome, but in all of the games I tested as long as I could keep frame rates north of 35 fps the overall experience was great." 

Guru3D:

"For reasons I can't explain passing 40 FPS is precesiely the threshold where G-Sync starts to show off like a rock star and amaze. So my recommendation is for you to figure out settings or graphics card(s) that renders your favorite titles above 40 FPS, and that's where you'll be stunned, stumped and get seriously impressed."

Sounds like it will be REALLY useful as we get G-sync in 4K displays. 

<message edited by Letros on Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:37 AM>

ZoyosJD

Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:37 AM ( #15 )
Letros

Sounds like it will be REALLY useful as we get G-sync in 4K displays. 

Thanks for the updates. 

Really good to hear the consistent and overwhelmingly positive reaction.  Still disliking it's proprietary nature, but I'll get over it. 
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 PM ( #16 )
so wait a second, what does this fix. Were PC gamers having stuttering issues on frame rates not multiples of 30?

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 783
Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:54 PM ( #17 )
SmokeyMcBear

so wait a second, what does this fix. Were PC gamers having stuttering issues on frame rates not multiples of 30?

This is to do with refresh rates and FPS. If they are not equal (does not matter if they are multiples) you may have tearing. G Sync is a chip in the monitor that requests frames at the monitors refresh rate meaning it is frame rate independent. No stutter, no input lag, no tearing.

Vsync is a solution to fight this which makes the CPU waste a whole load of cycles and so causes input lag
<message edited by Bladesfist on Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM>
Convas

• Total Posts : 2484
Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:28 PM ( #18 )
Letros

Anandtech review:

Dropping below 30 fps is still bothersome, but in all of the games I tested as long as I could keep frame rates north of 35 fps the overall experience was great." 

Guru3D:

"For reasons I can't explain passing 40 FPS is precesiely the threshold where G-Sync starts to show off like a rock star and amaze. So my recommendation is for you to figure out settings or graphics card(s) that renders your favorite titles above 40 FPS, and that's where you'll be stunned, stumped and get seriously impressed."

ARGGG. This is why I can't leave Nvidia, no matter how tempting a R9 290 is. The drivers, these side projects that add to the Green Team value ... I just wish Nvidia would hurry with Maxwell so I can upgrade.

No way I'll be able to truly manhandle Witcher 3 or The Division with my GTX 470 and I dun want a 600/700 card with Maxwell on the horizon. 
(Steam: Ricky Ricardo)(Origin: Convas)(PSN/XBL: Convas)
Letros

Re:G-sync - Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:25 PM ( #19 )
SmokeyMcBear

with v-sync off, no, but you may get tearing if your fps are too low.

with v-sync on, you eliminate tearing and it does introduce some stuttering and input lag.

g-sync solves all these problems

consoles generally don't have either issue because framerates themselves are locked although ive seen some tearing in very demanding games, v-sync does cost performance afterall.

Satanas

Re:G-sync - Friday, December 13, 2013 9:55 AM ( #20 )
SmokeyMcBear

As others have stated, it's screen tearing and not stutter. V sync (read: not g-sync, which is newer and explained above thoroughly) would eliminate screen tearing (not used on console games because it impacts performance) but can introduce minor input lag issues. And it also effect console gamers (tearing), except there isn't any solution there other than to hope the game you are playing maintains a steady 30 or 60fps (which many console games fail to do, ie. Last of Us). The worst screen tearing that comes to my mind is Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 but I've heard Bayonetta may be worse.

The recent reviews of this sound excellent. I'll keep an eye out when I go 4K...in about a year or two.
<message edited by Satanas on Friday, December 13, 2013 9:58 AM>
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread