Disc or Digital for Next Gen

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 37 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
SanMarco

• Total Posts : 988
  • Reward points : 0
Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:29 PM ( #1 )
Hey, how do you guys feel about this. There's an ad on psn, every $50 spent, $10 back. So I'm going to buy ps plus. Maybe preorder KZ or ac4 digital. I worry a little after gta digital being downgraded.

Anyone continuing to buy physical copies or moving to digital for next gen. 
PSN: Mr_Mojo__Risin-
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14748
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:36 PM ( #2 )
I will most likely still use disc based games. But for games I know would be a staple in my everyday gaming, like GTA5, I would go with digital. But the first thing I'm going to do when I get my PS4 (probably next year bundled with a game I want), is to put in a solid state drive. I think that is what is killing it with my GTA5 digital download. I went with a 5k rpm hard drive rather than the 7k cuz I was worried about heat.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:43 PM ( #3 )
if I could download 50 gigs in 5 minutes then  would go digital but this is not the case. Downloading 50 gigs would take me like a week, so I rather just drive to the store and buy the game because is much faster.
SmokeyMcBear

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:49 PM ( #4 )
A lot of the games from this generation had duplicate data, due to the slow read speeds of the PS3 bluray disc. I'm not exactly sure how large the new games would be, it would be good to know the size of say killzone SF to see if its feesible to download.

Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 768
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:00 PM ( #5 )
Well most games I have on steam are around 8gb which is a lot faster to download than to drive to the store and back for me.
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10057
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:40 PM ( #6 )
Slowly moving to digital, but only because of discounts / sharing. 

I share my PS3 games w/ my brother who is in Cali atm. So digital makes much more sense atm for PS3. 

I can download 20gb games in 3 hours(on Steam),  so I'm not too worried about not having the bandwidth. I am worried about the ridiculously slow PSN/XBL servers not being able to keep up. 

Both 360 n PS3 have really ****ty download servers

SmokeyMcBear

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:16 PM ( #7 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
I really hope the PSN still allows 2 consoles on one PSN account, shared GTA5 that way and its a really good way to share games and share the cost.

Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2076
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:10 PM ( #8 )
SanMarco

Hey, how do you guys feel about this. There's an ad on psn, every $50 spent, $10 back.

Look at how things have gone from PS3 to PS4. Nothing you've bought digitally on PS3 will transfer over to your PS4 (right?). I've always preferred physical content to digital content and this one of the reasons why. Needs to be an enormous difference in digital and physical prices in order to entice me to buy games digitally.

Bladesfist

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:04 PM ( #9 )
Nate-Dog

SanMarco

Hey, how do you guys feel about this. There's an ad on psn, every $50 spent, $10 back.

Look at how things have gone from PS3 to PS4. Nothing you've bought digitally on PS3 will transfer over to your PS4 (right?). I've always preferred physical content to digital content and this one of the reasons why. Needs to be an enormous difference in digital and physical prices in order to entice me to buy games digitally.

It is the same for physical games though. What kind of argument is that?
SanMarco

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:30 PM ( #10 )
@ NateDog

Well I can preorder killzone and get $10 back on psn as well buying ps plus that will transfer to ps4

I hope  the reviews come out for ac4 before the sale ends 10/29. The ps3 version will have an overall package that should let us know if ubisoft shafted us again or not.That should tell me if I should preorder ac4 ps4. Personally I would rather have killzone SF.

I'm picking up bf4 physical disc with ps4. I don't want to risk bf4 digital screwing up via download. Like with fidelity or waiting all day for it to show up on the psn store. 
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10816
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:48 PM ( #11 )
Disc. Unless digital prices are far lower than physical copies I see no reason to go digital only. I.e. Why do people like steam? Their digital sales are amazing. If steam games were 59.99 only without ever sales or anything then I wouldn't use it.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
SanMarco

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:18 AM ( #12 )
I've decided not to get KZ SF on ps4 digital.ill just wait until it's used at Gamestop.. I'm sorry 50gb on a 500gb hardrive is bologna.
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10057
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:32 AM ( #13 )
SanMarco

I've decided not to get KZ SF on ps4 digital.ill just wait until it's used at Gamestop.. I'm sorry 50gb on a 500gb hardrive is bologna.

I thought PS4 was a 1.5tb hdd?

John Kratos

• Total Posts : 429
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:46 AM ( #14 )
This is kind of weird for me, because most all of my PC gaming is digital. I built my first gaming PC in 2010, so basically I got into it when Steam was/is pretty much the biggest marketplace for PC games. Right now I have around 200 games downloaded on my Steam account versus only about 7 PC DVDs. I found the reason for that was, 1 the discounts, and 2 Steam's downloads are pretty fast for me. Generally I can have around a 12 gig game done in 4-6 hours. 

The contrast to my PC is my consoles, pretty much all of my 360/PS3 games are physical, because generally it takes me a while to download games onto them, also there isn't much of a price difference between physical and digital. Though I have downloaded some full games because of PS Plus, and the discounts with PS Plus are pretty good so I do get digital content for my consoles. Generally it's free stuff or discounted from PS PLus, or small games like Journey, Trine 2, or Rain
Emilio_Estevez

• Total Posts : 2095
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:06 AM ( #15 )

PSN still allows 2 consoles on one PSN account, shared GTA5 that way and its a really good way to share games and share the cost.
SmokeyMcBear

I really hope the PSN still allows 2 consoles on one PSN account, shared GTA5 that way and its a really good way to share games and share the cost.

This was confirmed on twitter by Shuhei Yoshida to be the same as before, yeah gamesharing!

Also Killzone is 37-40Gb depending on your territory, so more towards 37 for you smokey. Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

OT:For me it's discs, I don't sell games, but I like to have something tangible. 

<message edited by Emilio_Estevez on Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:50 AM>

Bladesfist

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:10 AM ( #16 )
Emilio_Estevez

PSN still allows 2 consoles on one PSN account, shared GTA5 that way and its a really good way to share games and share the cost.
SmokeyMcBear

This was confirmed on twitter by Shuhei Yoshida to be the same as before, yeah gamesharing!

Also Killzone is 37-40Gb depending on your territory, so more towards 37 for you smokey. Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

OT:For me it's discs, I don't sell games, but I like to have something tangible. 

I don't get why people care if the disk a game is stored on is inside the machine or external. I prefer the performance of internal storage.

Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2076
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:50 PM ( #17 )
Bladesfist

Nate-Dog

SanMarco

It is the same for physical games though. What kind of argument is that?

Well if you sell off your PS3 to fund a PS4 all your games are gone. At least with physical games you can sell them on if you want, or keep them if you want. Like I said, needs to be a massive difference in price of digital versions in order to entice people like me so that I don't care about losing access to that stuff and not being able to get any money back on them. The majority of people presumed that since both the PS3 and PS4 would have PSN that your content would carry over. Especially stuff that will be in the future streamed (like PS1 or PS2) classics which should really carry over.

I don't even know if my argument is making sense or not, probably not but I'm tired as **** so **** it.

-Mezzo-

• Total Posts : 2862
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:59 PM ( #18 )
I will always go with Physical Copy, until it no longer an option.

I'm Trolling For 'Tears'
Bladesfist

Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Friday, October 25, 2013 1:13 AM ( #19 )
Nate-Dog

Well if you sell off your PS3 to fund a PS4 all your games are gone. At least with physical games you can sell them on if you want, or keep them if you want. Like I said, needs to be a massive difference in price of digital versions in order to entice people like me so that I don't care about losing access to that stuff and not being able to get any money back on them. The majority of people presumed that since both the PS3 and PS4 would have PSN that your content would carry over. Especially stuff that will be in the future streamed (like PS1 or PS2) classics which should really carry over.

I don't even know if my argument is making sense or not, probably not but I'm tired as **** so **** it.

I think I get what you mean. Are PSN games bound to the console that you buy it on? I know on Xbox live you can redeem it to as many consoles as you like but can only play it on one at a time. I don't like the used game system and consider it to be bad practice so not being able to sell my games has never been a problem for me and has allowed Steam to keep the prices of content really low.
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11832
Re:Disc or Digital for Next Gen - Friday, October 25, 2013 1:17 AM ( #20 )
I was once for discs due to ISP's being dicks, but recent events from a shoddy Sony exclusive have lead me to despise discs altogether. Digital it is. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Friday, October 25, 2013 1:19 AM>

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 37 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread