Favorite Games of the Generation

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
MattyG

• Total Posts : 3355
  • Reward points : 0
Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:19 PM ( #1 )
With the new generation fast approaching, I thought it would be interesting to look back at what our favorite games this generation were, and why. This isn't a "what were the most critically acclaimed games" or "what do you think was the best" thread. It's all about what games you enjoyed playing most, and which left the most impact on you. I'll put mine below.

I have eight, in no particular order-

1) Fallout 3: The amount of time I spent with this game was absurd. I must have put in over 100 hours on both consoles, getting the platinum on Ps3 and all the achievements on 360. Fallout 3 was everything I wanted in a game this gen (just give us the sequel, BethSoft!)

2) Skyrim: Mostly the same reason as above. The world really drew me in, and I felt like I was a part of it, even if it was incredibly janky and the dungeons eventually got repetitive. And the music is fantastic (even though it makes me feel a tad depressed. Something about the woodwind instruments or something. Same thing happens with Darksiders 2's music).

3) Call of Duty 4: This was one of the first games I played this gen. It used to be all I played, and I was completely fine with that. I still love CoD, but nothing will ever beat CoD4.

4) Darksiders 2: I will admit, it's not the best game. It's too long in the tooth, it crashes often and it's very lopsided (padded first half, incredibly thin second half). But the art design, gameplay and music more than make up for it. 

5) Bioshock Infinite: I know a lot of people have begun to hate this game since it's release, and yeah, it's REALLY flawed. But I still love it. The world feels very unique and interesting, and however divisive it is, I loved the story.

6) The Last of Us: No explanation needed.

7) Uncharted 3: It might not be as good as 2, but I found myself enjoying it much more. I have no idea why. I still love 2, but I prefer 3.

8) Dishonored: Every stealth game needs to take a page out of Dishonored's book. Instead of falling into the awful trap of having stealth the felt finicky and binary, it just set you loose and let you figure it out on your own. 

So what are yours?
<message edited by MattyG on Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:20 PM>

MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:23 PM ( #2 )
It's not as good as 2 but you love 3 more?

???
MattyG

Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:29 PM ( #3 )
MidnytRain

It's not as good as 2 but you love 3 more?

???

2 is better because it was more fresh, (3 did feel mostly like it copied the template that 2 extablished), but I would rather play 3. I have no idea why. I think I might prefer the locations and levels of 3. Don't get me wrong, I still love them both, I just prefer 3 just a liiiiittle bit more. 

Same thing kind of goes with the Fallout games. I think New Vegas is better because it has more to do, but I prefer 3 because of the location. It's kind of a matter of technical aspects/content VS preference, if that makes any sense.
<message edited by MattyG on Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:31 PM>

MidnytRain

Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:36 PM ( #4 )
Oh, well, I think anyone who hasn't played 3D Dot Game Heroes should give it a run. Also, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Def some of my fonder PS3 memories.
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:06 PM ( #5 )
Assassins Creed 2...
... I never would've imagined that I would ever get to experience a game with that kind of freedom in movement... only to get bored of it.

Modern Warfare 2...
... that was the turning point for me where scripted events went from being exciting to boring.

Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Infamous 2...
... Games that weren't trying so hard to have a story but still managed to have an impact on me.

FEAR 2, DeadSpace 2...
... Games that tried so hard to be scary, but ended up being pretty fun action games

Half Life 2 : Episode 2...
... for teaching me the value of patience.
moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2046
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:27 PM ( #6 )
1) The Last of Us

2) God of War 3

3) Metal Gear Solid 4- Mass Effect 3

4) Ni No Kuni - FFXIII

5) Infamous

6) Bioshock Infinite 

7) Fallout New Vegas

8) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

9) Dragon Age Origins

10) Dishonored- Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands

Honorable Mentions : Killzone 2, Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Borderlands, Resistance 2, Nier, Resident Evil 5, and Uncharted 2.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:41 PM ( #7 )
Metal Gear Solid 4

Valkyria Chronicles

Ni no Kuni

Borderlands 2

Street Fighter 4
-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:44 PM ( #8 )
Team Fortress 2

The Last of Us

other stuff.

flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:08 PM ( #9 )
COD4 - Probably most hours spent on a game this gen. 

Red Dead Redemption - Don't like most R* games but I loved this one. 

MGS4 - at the time, I was a big fan of it but I haven't played it in so long. I might play it again over winter break.

Uncharted Series - some hipsters might think it's too "mainstream" but presentation was top notch and enjoyed the adventure.

League of Legends... lol yes I played it for awhile, played it for a year non stop then I realized I was spending too much time on it so I quit. 

Bioshock and Infinite - amazing world they made. 

Heavy Rain - unique and the way it played out for me was great. 

The Last of US - good stuff.

Portal 2 - the amount of detail in the background/hidden story is amazing. 
PeeWizzle

• Total Posts : 2870
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:14 PM ( #10 )
Ni No Kuni- A long overdue game in a generation full of disappointing traditional JRPGs. It contains my favorite art style of any game and the most beautiful game world I've experienced. I grew attached to my little critters. It wasn't the most viable strategy for progressing in the game but I stuck with my mite for the duration of the story. This game is also loaded with great post game content that kept me playing for nearly eighty hours. 

Dark Souls- The level design in this game is just genius. It feels like what a 3D Castlevania game should be. The enemies and bosses are my favorite creatures to be slaughtered by. The limited use of music perfectly conveys the loneliness and despair that permeates throughout Lordan. There is no better combat in an RPG. 

The Last of Us- A Cormac McCarthy book in the form of a video game. 

Bayonetta- A pure fun game with the best combat of any hack'n'slash. The boss battles are some of my favorite in gaming. 

Far Cry 3- Rampaging across an island while under the influence of dangerous hallucinogens is all I really need to fall in love. Spelunking is also great fun. 

Portal 2- Sublime level design and humor that doesn't make you cringe. 

Journey- The only game outside of nineties era JRPGs to illicit on emotional response. 
My soul is still dancing.  
MidnytRain

Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:20 PM ( #11 )
flip-it3

Is this community still active? The last time I heard it was infested with hackers.
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:21 PM ( #12 )
MidnytRain

flip-it3

Is this community still active? The last time I heard it was infested with hackers.

no clue but probably 3 years ago I tried it again to play online and yea... everyone flying around shooting automatic rpgs.
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:23 PM ( #13 )
Uncharted because it's the kind of game I always dreamt to be made. The over the shoulder camera, cover system, seamless set-pieces. This was my vision of the perfect video game ever since I watched my first seamless CGI cut-scene transition on FF7. Although this kind of game design have been overexposed ever since Gears of War, Uncharted is the only one that offers such magnificent verticality in its gameplay and level design. 

The cruise ship on Uncharted 3 is literally the best and most epic level design I've seen in my life on a video game. An entire chapter built on pure physics and set-pieces one after the other. Hard to believe something like this was designed on ancient hardware. But this gotta show people that is not about the hardware but about the developers because there's absolutely nothing that comes close to this not even on the PC. There isn't a single game that compared to Uncharted 2-3, except for maybe Mario Galaxy. But unlike Uncharted Mario isn't limited by its own rules of having to be grounded on reality. So ND has to come up with more clever ideas in order to introduce these many different elements.

But anyway, the good thing about Uncharted is that it has so much potential. ND could keep introducing new characters and adventures for as long as they want because the series doesn't follows any pattern or plot. So I hope they make Uncharted 4 soon and come up with some more crazy stuff on the more powerful PS4 to expand the interactivity of those stupidly ridiculous set-pieces they make. They need to top the train of Uncharted 2 and the Cruise Ship of Uncharted 3 somehow.

As for the first Uncharted game I don't have much to say. It was a pretty standard action/adventure game with a kind of shocking twist at the end but nothing special. And talking about other games I liked from this gen I loved Deus Ex HR and Mass Effect because of its atmosphere, Valkyria Chronicles for finding a clever way to replace the old-school grid that then Xcom copied. It was something so simple yet it breathed new life into an archaic genre that refused to evolved beyond the boring high angle camera of the old RTS. 

The Last of Us for the harsh reality it presented with its story-telling, in-game micromanagement, stealth, survival... This game was a  blend of many standard implementations from older games but TLOU took everything and made it its own. Even its multiplayer is masterful although it gets boring fast because it only has like 4 maps and the resources are always located in the same place so it gets very monotonous after a while too but the premise it's something that should be evolved because there's tons of potential there.

Street Fighter IV, so godlike it single-handedly revived a genre. UMvC3 because of of its ridiculously simple yet deep combo system.
MattyG

Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:27 PM ( #14 )
MidnytRain

flip-it3

I think it's active, but yeah, infested with hackers. I think the basic rule of thumb is that if a CoD game is 3 or more years old, it's MP is probably a lost cause.

Picnic

• Total Posts : 165
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Monday, November 11, 2013 7:59 AM ( #15 )
1     Dishonored

2     Papa and Yo

3     The Unfinished Swan

4     Limbo

5     The Cave

6     Uncharted 2 - Uncharted 2 is the easiest of the 3 games overall and has a dull opening stealth section but apart from that it's a polished game with a satisfying end (unlike UC3's). 

7     The Last of Us

8     Perfect Dark Zero - yes it's cheesy but it was practically the first HD game. Oh- the first Bioshock then.

9     Alan Wake

10    Heavy Rain
John Kratos

• Total Posts : 429
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Monday, November 11, 2013 9:14 AM ( #16 )
These are mine in no particular order.

1. The Last of Us

2. Uncharted 2

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. Bioshock

5. Mass Effect

6. Resistance Fall of Man

7. Halo 3

8. Gears of War

9. The Orange Box

10. Alan Wake

11. Tomb Raider

12. Fallout 3

13.Pokemon Soulsilver

14. Zelda Twilight Princess

15. Super Mario Galaxy
acemonkey

• Total Posts : 3092
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Monday, November 11, 2013 9:15 AM ( #17 )
uncharted

infamous 

gta 4

rdr

bioshock

batman AA

skyrim

the last of us

left 4 dead 

and alot more lol
Picnic

• Total Posts : 165
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:58 AM ( #18 )
I'm very undecided about whether the Tomb Raider reboot is worth buying. Will it just seem like a poor man's Uncharted crossed with Far Cry 3's survival bits on the whole?
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:34 PM ( #19 )
Ok so...I'm just gonna go by my personal enjoyment of a game not review scores, graphical fidelity etc.
In no particular order...

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 /MGO -  Anyone who is a fan of the series understands why this is here. The whole game is a massive treat to fans and a very respectable end point to the series. I had a lot of fun with the online too...just I freaking hated Konami ID.

2. Demon Souls/Dark Souls - Both games were absolutely amazing, I had a lot of fun playing them, reminded me of the good ol' days when games were generally this hard and required, not skill, but memorization. The game itself is REALLY easy once you know enemy habits and that's what I liked about it.

3. Call of Duty 4 - I don't think I've every played a game online as much as I played this one. So fun and addicting. I was in high school when this came out so a group of friends and I played this game all the time online.

4. Assassin's Creed 1 - The concept of this game was super awesome, just implemented terribly. Sadly they changed the entirety of the series rather than fix it.

5. Pokemon X and Y - Stopped playing pokemon for 3 GENS, the amount of things that've changed and were added is phenomenal, love the 3d world look.

6. NiER - Spiritual successor to Drakengard, actually the game is a direct result of one of the ends to Drakengard 1.  Super fun, loved the story. Thinking about it makes me pumped for Drakengard 3.

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - This game was an interesting one, very different from the original and Invisible War, but still felt very true to it's roots. My biggest complaint were the endings, but overall great game.

8. Borderlands 2 - Loved the first one, the 2nd one is easily a million times better. This is how you combine rpg and shooters; bethesda take notes(Fallout 3 VATS anyone?)

9. Skyrim - Absolutely loved the scale of this game, clocked in I think around 100 hours?

10. Phantasy Star Online 2 - 'Kay so this game is awesome, seriously one of the best I've played period. My only issue is that Sega sucks. Why this game hasn't been localized is beyond me. Definitely one of their most ambitious games yet that actually delivers.

11. Shin Megami Tensei 4 - Fun games, but the characters are definitely worse yet. Fix that and this game would be amazing.

12. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence - Ok, so the story sucked, no surprise there since it was one of Kojima's writers, and not himself overlooking the story. But purely as an action game; there hasn't been a game that played this well since Ninja Gaiden Black on the Original Xbox.

13.Tales of Xillia/Graces F - Both of these games are awesome RPGS. But not only do they not look nearly as good as they should, but they also suffer from localization issues, in my opinion. Simply put, game mechanics just aren't explained well at all. If they were I think more people would like 'em.

14. Star Ocean: The Last Hope - This game is overlooked. Like, by a lot. Great story, awesome characters, VERY fun gameplay, tons of side quests. This has everything an jrpg fan should love.

15. Guild Wars 2 - This is probably the most  fun I've had with an MMO to date. Definitely revolutionized the genre too since I see plenty of games copying it all the time now. For example, I'm almost certain this was the first game to feature public events. and an ever changing world. In addition, although it does have fetch quests, its not nearly as mundane as you basically never need to approach the quest giver, only be in their general vicinity. There's also the fact that you have a personal story, which is really fun too. But I think the greatest part about it is the sheer amount of support this game is getting over a year after. I've gotten game content rivaling the combined size of all WoW expansions for free and this is all without a subscription. Freaking awesome.

There are some I left out, such as Ni No Kuni and Valkyria Chronicles. Reason being is. For starters, Ni No Kuni, despite what a lot of you think plays like White Knight Chronicles. I know that Since I played WKC 1 and 2. The combat is actually the same..maybe a bit worse LOL. Story is much better though.

Valkyria Chronicles I left out because I played the 2nd one on PSP, it was a definite improvement that was stunted by the fact that it was on PSP rather than consoles. Apparently the 3rd is even better but it never had an NA release. Either way, the first one could have been better and it should've been given a sequel.

Honorable mention: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - fun game, but I couldn't get over the absolute **** story and mechanical flaws.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
xXxSeTTriPxXx

• Total Posts : 277
Re:Favorite Games of the Generation - Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:56 PM ( #20 )
Lost oddessy

Mass effect 2

Mgs4 

Uncharted1&2

Cod:mw

Nier: this game is great

Dragons dogma 

Bioshock&infinite   

Ac2

Xenoblade

Gow3

Heavenly sword

Resistance1

Vf5

Oblivion

Tlou

Geow1 multiplayer 

Demon&dark souls

Castlevania lords of shadow  

<message edited by xXxSeTTriPxXx on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:02 PM>
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread