Super Mario 3D World OT

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 40 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
  • Reward points : 0
Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:33 AM ( #1 )

Just picked this up today and god, it's amazing. Been playing for hours. 

Visuals:
The graphics are great - probably the most vibrant HD game I've played up there with Ni no Kuni. Frame rate is solid 60 and plays smooth as butter.

Controls:
The controls are actually really good. I had read some impressions that said they had some issues with dashing being delayed and some other changes, but I find that these have not affected the game at all (since dashing was always delayed, just a bit more so in this game). Other than that it's as tight as you'd expect for a Mario game, and the new stuff like the cat suit controls amazingly well.

Characters:
As far as characters go, so far I'm sticking with Peach and Toad. Toad's speed is amazing, but Peach's air hover is a lifesaver and makes manoeuvring tricky platform sections less nervewracking.

Difficulty:
As far as difficulty goes, it's not very hard to just beat any given level. However, as early as world 3 the difficulty starts increasing, and trying to get some stars/stamps is actually extremely difficult, but extremely rewarding.

Design:
The levels are great and extremely varied so far. I've only played two levels that make use of the Double Cherry and it's obvious certain stages were designed for it. My god, it is by far the best powerup I've come across. It's pretty hard to keep all your clones (so far I've managed to get up to 5, not sure how many you can possibly have) alive in certain areas but absolutely possible, and very critical for certain stars. It's also extremely fun to manoeuvre yourself in such a way that you space them out correctly depending on the situation you're trying to approach (spread out, on different levels, tight together, etc). The cat suit is extremely fun and definitely the best commonly-found power. The aerial dive strike is amazing and satisfying to hit anything with, and the ability to climb adds a lot of verticality to the levels. The canonball powerup is also pretty fun and has a "charge shot" that basically goes berserk shooting.

Captain Toad / Mystery House:
Captain Toad levels are great so far. It's pure puzzle solving and a good bit different from the regular game in that sense. You cannot jump, you have to manipulate the camera to plan your route to get all 5 stars in the level. They're fun and I hope there are a good bit of them. The Mystery House stuff seems like it'll get really good soon - you typically just get 10 seconds to complete whatever goal there is and obtain a green star, and I'm sure in later worlds the game is going to get pretty hard with these.

Multiplayer unfortunately I have not yet played, but plan to do so with some friends probably this weekend. I have to say though, I can already feel as though the MP in this game will be hilarious and gratifying, as the MP in NSMBU was really fun as it was but getting in each other's way was irritating. Won't be anywhere near as much of an issue here since you're not limited to one dimension.

<message edited by Satanas on Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:42 AM>
Chard

• Total Posts : 507
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:48 AM ( #2 )
Do you think it's better than the Galaxy games?

Satanas

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:00 AM ( #3 )
Chard

Do you think it's better than the Galaxy games?

Unfortunately I didn't play through most of the Galaxy games. From friends who have, I've heard every possible opinion: not as good, equally as good, and better. So I guess I can't help there.

What I can say, is that it feels like a good blend of the 3D titles and the 2D titles and that gives it its own unique style. It has a lot of similarities to Super Mario 64, which is great, but it has the shorter flag-pole courses and some "2D-ish" sections that will remind you of Super Mario World. So if you liked those games, you'll definitely like this one.

Apparently certain level design elements in Galaxy were revised and expanded in this game, like the second double cherry level (which was very fun and fairly challenging to grab all those stars as you need to keep your clones alive).
<message edited by Satanas on Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:01 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:44 AM ( #4 )
God...what a horrendously ****ing ugly game. Not gritty enough, not enough guns. LAME.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Satanas

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:52 AM ( #5 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

God...what a horrendously ****ing ugly game. Not gritty enough, not enough guns. LAME.

So far my number one complaint about this game: It isn't Killzone. 0/10 nice try though Miyamoto
PeeWizzle

• Total Posts : 2870
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:53 PM ( #6 )
I do not need to play this, I do not need to buy a Wii U. I do not need to play this, I do not to need to buy a Wii U. I have too many games to play right now (dividing my time between A Link Between Worlds, Witcher 2, and Black Flag is hard enough). I just built a computer, I do not need a Wii U. God damn it. I need a Wii U. 
My soul is still dancing.  
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:00 PM ( #7 )
PeeWizzle

I do not need to play this, I do not need to buy a Wii U. I do not need to play this, I do not to need to buy a Wii U. I have too many games to play right now (dividing my time between A Link Between Worlds, Witcher 2, and Black Flag is hard enough). I just built a computer, I do not need a Wii U. God damn it. I need a Wii U. 

Probably best to wait till a Zelda game comes out for the WiiU than getting it now. That way it won't sit there for months unused as much like every other WiiU. 
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:53 PM ( #8 )
I won't lie, it looks fun, but platformers aren't my cup of tea. I prefer adventure games, and rpgs mostly. So til X or something like metroid  comes out my interest in a Wii U is as none existent as it is for the Xbox 1 and PS4 
<message edited by Kenshin_BATT0USAI on Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:54 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Satanas

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:08 PM ( #9 )
flip-it3

Probably best to wait till a Zelda game comes out for the WiiU than getting it now. That way it won't sit there for months unused as much like every other WiiU. 

Purely personal preference.

For me, platformers reign king, and Super Mario 3D World is an instant classic in its own right. Outside of platforming even. But in the genre, its currently unrivaled and this really won't change since MS and Sony don't have anything that competes in this genre, unless I guess if you like LBP (which I thought was awful).

Now, Zelda on the other hand, I've played Wind Waker HD and it's fun. But Mario is the system seller for me -- and it's here already.

So far I'd give this game a 9/10, but I'm only about 25% in so this could change. Will hopefully experience some coop today too and post impressions.

I won't lie, it looks fun, but platformers aren't my cup of tea. I prefer adventure games, and rpgs mostly. So til X or something like metroid  comes out my interest in a Wii U is as none existent as it is for the Xbox 1 and PS4

We've talked about this already, and while I get that everyone has their own tastes, it is pretty funny that you state this even though the latter platforms you mentioned don't have any RPGs or adventure games out anyway. As far as what's coming goes, there's FF vs Xenoblade 2, and the latter's previous iteration reviewed better than the former's last few games by a significant margin.

But this isn't about that anyway - if you like platformers, you should have a Wii U. This game is a king amongst mostly rubble on the other sides. I can't believe Knack was ever marketed as a platformer... there's no platforming whatsoever, and it's also terrible.
<message edited by Satanas on Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:13 PM>
Dehnus

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:29 PM ( #10 )
  " I do not need to play this, I do not need to buy a Wii U. I do not need to play this, I do not to need to buy a Wii U. I have too many games to play right now (dividing my time between A Link Between Worlds, Witcher 2, and Black Flag is hard enough). I just built a computer, I do not need a Wii U. God damn it. I need a Wii U. "

*Wiggles fingers together* Yes, YEES! Come to the siren's song, come puppets. Do join us and forget those other two trying to ruin the fun of our toys. One of us! one of us ;). PS:Somehow quoting doesn't seem to work in Firefox :S.
<message edited by Dehnus on Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:31 PM>
Satanas

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:16 AM ( #11 )
Multiplayer impressions:

Friendship destroyer. Extremely fun and played for hours, but probably spent 99% of the time yelling at each other for messing up.  Significantly better than any MP I've played in the NSMB series.

The game gets very hard in the later worlds if you are a completionist. Right now we're at World-[Bowser] and we've literally played through the night because of how addicting it is. So far World [Castle]-[Castle] and a couple other levels in World [Castle] have been the hardest levels to complete with all stars and stamps.

Amazing level design, amazing game. I can't wait to try this with 4 people. It's going to be utter chaos. I don't know what I'd do without Peach's floaty jump.

So far this game is my GOTY, and I have played BS Infinite, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us and GTAV, all of which are also absolutely worthy.

Btw World [Bowser] is the eighth world, and as far as I can tell there are at least 4 more worlds after it. If they're as hard as World-[Castle] was in some areas, there's quite a bit left to do. This game is definitely not only 8 hours long as some reviewers stated, unless you get absolutely no stars and you do not do any of the post-game worlds.
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:39 AM>
TooTall19

• Total Posts : 690
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:05 PM ( #12 )
I didn't know this game was out already. I will wait to get it until I visit friends/family.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:40 PM ( #13 )
An interesting thing about Mario games is that there is typically no pressure on the player to make it through harder levels, so there's an appeal to both hardcore and casuals.
KillerPwned

• Total Posts : 1400
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Monday, November 25, 2013 11:53 AM ( #14 )
This game is absolutely amazing I have just gotten to the final world and I have almost 100%. Besides the Wind Waker HD Remake this is the game to own for the Wii U. No way you can go wrong, in my opinion its exceeded all expectations from previous mario games like Galaxy 1 & 2 and 64. I have been waiting a long time for a true successor to Super Mario 64 and I can gladly say its finally here this is it.

The multiplayer player while it makes the game a lot harder at the same time makes it so much funner with your friends. I start this up and I find my self a few hours later with myself or friends sucked into this. I'm also confident their will be DLC for this game as we seen it for all the 3DS titles and New Super Mario Bros U.  All I really gotta say is if you get a chance to play this do it right away or if you are thinking about getting a Wii U or already have one. Then you must own this game you will be busy for a long time with this amazingly fun adventure. 
My sig was too big!
-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Monday, November 25, 2013 11:56 AM ( #15 )
This game makes me really want a WiiU.
KillerPwned

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Monday, November 25, 2013 12:02 PM ( #16 )
-MD-

I really hope this is the game that breaks everyone away from thinking the Wii U is just yet another piece of crap. The stuff Nintendo fans deal with from both Sony and M$ fans is ridiculous and I always find something I like about each system. Especially as I'll be getting a PS4 soon but my Wii U is amazing.
My sig was too big!
Ingram

• Total Posts : 647
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Monday, November 25, 2013 10:04 PM ( #17 )
I really, really want to voice my opinion about this game and its flaws, but since it's not a 100% positive review and I (for shame) like the ps4, it's rather pointless and uncomfortable given the circumstances

From the heart, Satanas, you and your Fabulous attitude rustles my jimmies from here to Beijing. Bravo for you, and bravo for Mario. 

I personally preferred the SMG games. Leaving it there.

<message edited by Ingram on Monday, November 25, 2013 10:13 PM>
KillerPwned

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Monday, November 25, 2013 10:37 PM ( #18 )
Ingram

I really, really want to voice my opinion about this game and its flaws, but since it's not a 100% positive review and I (for shame) like the ps4, it's rather pointless and uncomfortable given the circumstances

From the heart, Satanas, you and your Fabulous attitude rustles my jimmies from here to Beijing. Bravo for you, and bravo for Mario. 

Feel free to voice your opinion, I'm personally curious to hear all ends. No form of entertainment is absolutely perfect.
My sig was too big!
Satanas

Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:54 PM ( #19 )
Ingram

Why are you getting irritated that I like a game? One that is reviewing extremely well, nonetheless? That's some hardcore ridiculousness.

As for your comments, a lot of people like Galaxy better. One thing you absolutely cannot argue is that this game is the best couch coop Mario experience yet possible, and I don't know if you've actually played this game with anyone (let alone played very much of it at all), but it's extremely satisfying in that regard. I assure you that feeling alone is more satisfying than Killzone Shadow Fall in its (mediocre) entirety. I myself still need to play Galaxy, and probably will when I can get 1+2 for a good price (2 still isn't too cheap) as I never had a Wii but can now play these titles on the Wii U.

Anyway, as someone who has very thoroughly played this game here are my revised impressions (well,everything from above still applies, these are additional):

First off, here's my progress: I've completed every main-game world and 100%'d them. I've completed and 100%'d the first two post-game worlds. I still have to complete the remaining post-game worlds.

Let's talk about the game's "low points".
1) The camera can get in the way when there are multiple people and you are trying to play cooperatively. Playing competitively, this matters much less. Having said that both competitive and cooperative play are fun and can be done in tandem as you are crowned at the end of each level.
2) It isn't an open-world Mario game and there are times where you may wish it was (some landscapes are very open and let you explore a huge area, but then it very quickly returns to the traditional "course layout" of most Mario games. This is obviously by design and definitely not a big deal, but these moments may leave you wanting a Super Mario 64/Sunshine true sequel. Having said that, the course layout will sometimes remind you of certain Mario 64 levels like all of Bowser's levels, which followed the same format and were excellent.
3) (*read update below)So far it hasn't been too difficult, in particular the "main game" end boss was too easy, but I've heard from quite a few people that the final two bonus worlds get brutal, which I am eagerly anticipating. I just started the first of those two and man, for a post-game world it has more levels than most of the main game worlds which is very exciting.

The multiplayer is really amazing and I seriously must insist anyone who hasn't yet go grab some friends or family members and give it a whirl. Even scrubs can have fun since there's the golden tanooki leaf if you suck and as long as you have one good player, you'll be just fine without ever using that anyway. It's honestly one of the only games that you could potentially get non-gaming friends and family to even consider and they'll still have fun with it.

My final rating would still be 9/10. Fantastic, vibrant, charming game. And dat 60 fps...

I've had a Wii U for a year and found it difficult to recommend to those who weren't simply interested in core Nintendo titles, but this game certainly extends itself to a large audience and I'd recommend anyone to play it. If you were ever on the fence, this is a great time to get the Wii U. Especially since you, like me, are a PC gamer and the PS4 will offer you nothing short of mediocrity until (earliest) mid next year.

UPDATE 11/27

According to my "daily log" I've logged just over 20 hours of playtime on this game. I have still not completed all of the post-game content - I am halfway through post-game World 3. In regards to my comments about difficulty, it is seriously ramping up in some of these bonus levels. Mario completionists and hardcore platformer fans will seriously love some of the crazy stuff in these later levels. Mild spoilers ahead. One level in particular had me lighting up multiple fireplaces with fireballs while on spinning platforms in a poisoned water (instant death) area with those new 'creeper' piranha plants, fire piranha plants and parabones (also new to this game) attacking. Some of the fireplace locations required very specific jumps and throwing angles to light, and a high chance of falling off the spinning platform because of how close to the edge you must be. Also no checkpoints, and those damn parabones resurrect with their wings. Now I'm on a level with disappearing platforms that take like less than a second to switch on/off. The first section was a bit treacherous, but not hard with the Tanooki suit. I'm still currently on the second part where the disappearing platforms are now stair-like, Spikes throw their spike rollers at you and parabones similarly try to fly into you and cause you to plummet to your misery. The difficulty is definitely stepping up, so there's plenty here for the hardcore.

Apparently the very final post-game world is very, very difficult. I am looking forward to it.
<message edited by Satanas on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:22 PM>
Ingram

• Total Posts : 647
Re:Super Mario 3D World OT - Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:05 PM ( #20 )
Well Satanas, this is your thread, but you insist in bringing up PS4's mediocrity and KZ for some reason, so please, keep on exercising your free will. Just don't pretend that I'm hating on the (simple) fact that you're liking a (simple) game.
It is your constant references to PS4 in a Mario thread what gets on my nerves.
You see, getting irritated about what others like is for "in" people with an attitude and a funny signature. I'm afraid I'm not modern enough.

I couldn't care less about KZ or Knack for that matter, they look boring to me.

About SM3DW, there's this small detail: I played this one and galaxy, unlike you, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from exactly.

The game is as lenient as it gets, it is a guided tour throughout the safest theme park ever, it takes you by the hand and sings you a lullaby in case you feel scared of a bush, there's virtually no challenge that can't be overcome by stopping for a second and calculating the next jump, and I'm not talking Castlevania NES level here.

The game makes sure from moment zero that you're aware of the situation at all times, safe, in a fenced cage, a  colorful, simplistic and dystopian purgatory of easy platforms, shoving things in your face with no text, in case you don't wanna read about the blandest story yet in a Mario game.

If you die a few times, a white tanooki suit is handed to you so you can blitz through the level being invulnerable, what's next for Mario? tutorials on how to get coins by breaking blocks? Don't even get me started about the stars and collectibles...I have not felt so insulted since the ridiculously easy "puzzles" in Uncharted

You want to know what I consider a proper platformer? no, you don't, but here it is anyway: Rayman Origins/Legends is leaps and bounds over NSMBU and SM3DW.

PD: Oh, by the way, NSMBU is a 2 dimensional game, it doesn't have "one dimension", unless of course you're referring to how soulless it is in a poetic way.

<message edited by Ingram on Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:40 PM>
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 40 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread