NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts

omarfenech

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:30 AM ( #1 )
Hi All,

Is there anyone else experiencing random artifacts when playing Rivals on PS4? Sometimes I notice split seconds artifacts when it is loading mountains, sometimes part of the mountain turns to purple or green. It takes only a split second then everything comes back to normal.

Thanks,
Omar
coxroach1

• Total Posts : 62
Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 7:44 AM ( #2 )
  I have seen this behavior. As the opening post states, it only last a split second but things do seem to appear a strange purple/green then flick into the correct texture. There also seems to be some slowdown/drop in FPS on occasion. Both these issues are far from ruining an otherwise very good game and given the infancy of the console I can overlook it on this occasion (especially with it being EA, they have done far worse on other games). However, it does break the submersive gaming experience and pull me out of the NFS world back to sitting in my living room which is a shame. Hey EA! Patch it up!
Any opinion or statement posted is my own and not that of my employer or any other organisations unless stated otherwise.
omarfenech

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:53 AM ( #3 )
Hi Coxroach1,

thanks for replying, I was asking about this because I wanted to make sure that it is not something related to hardware. I noticed the same thing whilst watching some online reviews on youtube but you never know until you ask someone directly.

What annoys me most though is the slowdown/drop in fps as you said. I really hope that EA fixes that with the next patch.

Anyway thanks again,
Omar
coxroach1

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:58 AM ( #4 )
  Is there an EA forum we could post these concerns in? I have just had a look and it seems they only have a Fifa forum.
Any opinion or statement posted is my own and not that of my employer or any other organisations unless stated otherwise.
omarfenech

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:06 AM ( #5 )
couldn't find anything sorry
dantesparda

• Total Posts : 32
Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:39 PM ( #6 )
 according to Digital Foundry, the framerate issue your experiencing is due to a frame pacing issue. I guess the way it works is that a 30fps running at 60hz has to pace it frames a certain way. So its supposed to do frame 1 then repeat frame 1, then frame 2 then repeat frame 2, and so on and so on til its done 30 unique frames with 30 duplicate frames (adding up to the 60hz). But in some games, due to bugs in the engine or coding, it'll instead do frame 1 then 2, then repeat frame 1 then frame 2. Now it doesnt have to do this the whole time (til it hit the 60hz) but when it does do it. You get a what looks like frames stuttering or juddering as they put it. And the sensation can be similar to if it was dropping down to 20fps. So in other words, the game is actuaclly dropping in frames, but rather having a frame pacing issue. Now the one of the devs said they would fix it in an upcoming patch/update. But the question is when? and which patch/update no./ver? Supposedly, its effecting both version (x1 & ps4) making it a engine bug
<message edited by dantesparda on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:42 PM>
coxroach1

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:48 AM ( #7 )
  Thanks for the excellent info Dantesparda. Any chance you could post a link to the source? Be interested to have a read.
omarfenech

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:19 AM ( #8 )
Thanks for the information, hopefully it will be fixed with the next update because it is very annoying.
dantesparda

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:25 PM ( #9 )
 http://www.eurogamer.net/...ivals-face-off-preview "But why? Simply put, smooth 30fps games rely on a single unique frame being followed by a single duplicate frame, repeated over and over to give an even sense of motion from a console's typical 60Hz signal. The alternating order of these frames is crucial, but in Rivals' case we see stretches of play where two unique frames will be trailed by two duplicates - averaging out at the same overall frame-rate, but creating a discernible stuttering to camera motions as they whips past. This is one of the reasons why we are currently working on adding consistency graphs to our performance analysis videos (here's a sample of how it will look once complete). Frame-rate is an average, judder is a split-second phenomenon and in the case of Rivals, it has a fundamental impact on the look and feel of the game." Btw guys, there is a newer article on this, on DF, unfortunately they still havent fixed it. Here have a read if you's like http://www.eurogamer.net/...vals-next-gen-face-off
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3384
Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:42 PM ( #10 )
Ah, I see your problem: You bought spoiled milk from a sh***y company.
dantesparda

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:20 PM ( #11 )
 ok Midnytrain, back under your bridge. But i do agree about EA
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3384
Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:21 PM ( #12 )
dantesparda

ok Midnytrain, back under your bridge. But i do agree about EA

Just bein honest. 
omarfenech

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Friday, December 06, 2013 1:26 AM ( #13 )
and what about the artifacts any news? 

Omar
omarfenech

Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:57 PM ( #14 )
Hi All,

Since yesterday's patch I have noticed that all the artifacts are gone and the game seems much smoother. 

I think that most of the problems have been fixed.

Omar
DragonPs4

• Total Posts : 530
Re:NFS Rivals PS4 Artifacts - Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:59 PM ( #15 )
I'm getting less lag and the game does seem a bit more smooth now. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread