Handheld for JRPGs

alexh7686

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:41 PM ( #1 )
Hi all new member so I apologise if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything. 

I was thinking about getting a handheld console for JRPG gaming as having a look at the news surrounding the new releases for PS4 (the next gen console I got) not expecting any for a while. Was wondering what system people would recommend for this. Any help or recommendations are much appreciated. 

If you want any more info just ask. 

Oh and I'm in the UK so it'll be the EU market I get sadly I can't read Japanese which would be helpful. Would have no probs in getting hold of them if I could. 

Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:52 PM ( #2 )
Well, on the 3DS there is:

Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Milennium Girl
Pokemon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Japanese SRPG)
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Heroes of Ruin
Tales of the Abyss 3D

Among some others.

On the Vita, there is:
Persona 4 Golden
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Dragon's Crown (Action RPG) (Also on PS3)
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (Also on PS3)

Among some others.

Both handhelds are also getting new Persona games:
(Persona 5 and Persona 4 Arena 2 will be on PS3)
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is coming to 3DS
Persona 4: Dancing All Night is coming to Vita

Here's some more insight on this from /r/JRPG
http://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/1c4b0d/3ds_or_vita/

The near-unanimous suggestion is that you get a 3DS. I myself recommend you do that as well. To answer this in advance, get the 3DS XL if you are choosing between models.
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:54 PM>
Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2069
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:01 PM ( #3 )
Get a PSP. Tons of JRPGs on it and it's still getting support in Japan (look at these pre-orders on Play-Asia: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-if-49-en.html).

Region-free too, can't beat it. After that, possibly 3DS I guess. But Vita is also region free like the PSP so has its advantages.

Oh sorry just read your last sentence, guess this post was useless.

Satanas

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:15 PM ( #4 )
I definitely wouldn't get a PSP unless you could read Japanese. Not having games to look forward to would definitely not be cool. JRPG fans would definitely want the new Persona games on either Vita or 3DS. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say Persona Q might be a more exciting game than "Dancing All Night", but that's pure conjecture.
alexh7686

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:26 PM ( #5 )
Most of the problem I'm having is that I don't know many of the names on the 3DS. Initially I was leaning towards the Vita or PSP as I knew some of the games and would enjoy them but from reading various websites there seem to be far more titles for 3DS. Only prob was I wasn't sure of the quality. Obviously both will have their good and bad games like every other console but didn't want to invest in a 3DS purely for the quantity of games would rather go for quality. 

The fact I have the PS4 also means that some of the games for the Sony portables may be ported over. 
Satanas

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:31 PM ( #6 )
Well, these lists are not 100% accurate and some games listed are NOT RPGs, but it will give you some idea:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/role-playing/3ds?view=condensed

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/role-playing/vita?view=condensed

I can tell you right off the bat that many of the 3DS JRPGs are very high quality Atlus and Square Enix titles.

And you're also fairly correct in your statement. For example, Dragon's Crown has a superior console version available.
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:16 PM ( #7 )
I have a Vita myself, Jrpg wise the 3DS is the only real option imo. I've considered getting a 3DS for the games Satanas listed alone. Let alone the rest of the games of the system and upcoming ones.
Satanas

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:40 PM ( #8 )
Irishguy95

I have a Vita myself, Jrpg wise the 3DS is the only real option imo. I've considered getting a 3DS for the games Satanas listed alone. Let alone the rest of the games of the system and upcoming ones.

I'm not a JRPG guy, outside of the more real-time console ones, but with the 3DS I feel like it's a good place to start out. I'm considering Bravely Default, and Fire Emblem: Awakening I've all but purchased.

But outside of that, it's all about Yoshi's New Island for me. I loved Super Mario World 2 and the joy I got from that last New Island trailer is ultimately what made me buy the 3DS. I'm currently playing Phoenix Wright and Dream Team, both excellent games. Hell, I didn't include it but I guess Dream Team pretty much is another JRPG you can add to that list, though it's more about your reflexes than your tactics.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10796
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Monday, December 16, 2013 4:06 AM ( #9 )
Honestly, they both seem like fine choices. 3Ds already has a great catalogue (I'd know being massive jrpg fanatic) but the Vita has some definite potential value. I mean if half the games coming out in Japan. Came out in the west I could definitely see a reason to own a Vita. Time will tell though.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Satanas

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:40 PM ( #10 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Honestly, they both seem like fine choices. 3Ds already has a great catalogue (I'd know being massive jrpg fanatic) but the Vita has some definite potential value. I mean if half the games coming out in Japan. Came out in the west I could definitely see a reason to own a Vita. Time will tell though.

The problem is this is highly speculative. If you wanted to buy a system now and have a ton of great JRPGs, and also a ton more coming with release dates/confirmations, 3DS wins. The Vita could change this later, but it's pure conjecture to say more.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:45 PM ( #11 )
Satanas

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

The problem is this is highly speculative. If you wanted to buy a system now and have a ton of great JRPGs, and also a ton more coming with release dates/confirmations, 3DS wins. The Vita could change this later, but it's pure conjecture to say more.

Hence the "Time will tell"
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Ingram

• Total Posts : 642
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Friday, December 20, 2013 5:23 AM ( #12 )
I myself will be getting a 3DS soon, missed out enough jrpgs, SMT will be the first one I'll get. 

The vita shines in many other respects though, if you want to have a display which is miles better and access to tons of PS1/PSP jrpgs also, persona 4 golden and dragon's crown are heavy reasons too.

I would get both if possible tbh
<message edited by Ingram on Friday, December 20, 2013 5:31 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:39 PM ( #13 )
Ingram

I myself will be getting a 3DS soon, missed out enough jrpgs, SMT will be the first one I'll get. 

The vita shines in many other respects though, if you want to have a display which is miles better and access to tons of PS1/PSP jrpgs also, persona 4 golden and dragon's crown are heavy reasons too.

You won't be disappointed. SmT4 is freaking awesome. That aside. All the other SMT series games (devil survivor, soul hackers etc) are quality titles too.

As for the Vita, I actually picked one up the other day. Loving it thus far, the screen is a MAJOR plus. It just makes everything look awesome. Been playing God eater burst and soul sacrifice thus far. The Vita does have quality titles. But arguably it doesn't having any GOTY candidate level titles like A Link Between Worlds on the 3ds.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3414
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:18 PM ( #14 )
Do they even release games for the PSP anymore?
KozmoOchez

• Total Posts : 5324
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:46 AM ( #15 )
Ingram

For the first time ever, I feel like this a feasible option when it comes to consoles. I have both, honestly I play the 3DS MUCH less, but there are some games that I gotta get on there (Pokemon, Fire Emblem). Turn based 2d-ish games seem to come better on 3DS, but if you are more for...console-ish rpgs that you can play on the go, Vita is pulling more than it's weight. It already has P4G, Disgaea, Ragnarok Odyssey, the new Ys, Dragon's Crown, and Soul Sacrifice for starters. It also has access to that backlog of PSP/PSOne rpgs - Both FF Tactics games, Tactics Ogre, FF VII, FF VIII, FF IX, these are games that will get you at least 60+  hours each. Also, HD remake of FFX. There are other non-SE games, but those are easily recognised.

3DS has the most as far as newcoming RPGs, for now, but Vita + PSone/PSP collection has a strong library. Getting both isn't a bad idea if you are going to actually put time into games.
MidnytRain

Do they even release games for the PSP anymore?

No, but the library is RIDICULOUSLY large, and readily available on PSN, or even cheaper if you manage to find the UMD somewhere online

Satanas

Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:04 AM ( #16 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

But inarguably it doesn't having any GOTY candidate level titles like A Link Between Worlds on the 3ds.

Just needed to make a small correction there, Batt0usai.
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Handheld for JRPGs - Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:52 AM ( #17 )
PSVita, aside from the collection of PSVita games and upcoming stuff that comes from Japan in 2014, you can play the PSP RPG's, but this time on a great OLED display. Oh and dual analoge sticks.

Agreed with Kozmo, PSVita gives a more home console like experience.

Oh and if you are a PS+ EU subscriber, or become one this month, you'll get Soul Sacrifice for PSVita for free. Insanity, I know, game isn't even a year old! USA PS+ already got Soul Sacrifice in October/November if I'm right.
<message edited by TheMART on Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:07 AM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message