To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita

gamerchix87

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:46 PM ( #1 )
Sooo I was thinking  about buying a PlayStation Vita and was wondering do anyone have a PlayStation Vita? I need some Pros and Cons on this handheld game console to see if I should buy one or just keep my money. 
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:47 PM ( #2 )
I don't have one, but I've used one.

It's very comfortable to use, it's sleek looking, the controls are tight because it has proper sticks and buttons, and I believe it goes for only $200 now which puts it at the XL's price point.

The questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do I want a handheld gaming system?

Do any of the games here interest me?

If yes and yes, then I don't see why not. Another potential reason to consider purchasing one is if you're interested in PS4 remote play.

The cons? Well, arguably (but not really) it has an inferior selection of top-grade titles than the 3DS. On the other hand, it has much, much better graphics, depending on how concerned you are of that. I went with the XL myself, but it depends on the types of titles you want to play really. For example - if playing handheld shooters is a priority, avoid the 3DS because it is awful for that. You'd need that ungodly circle pad pro and even that wouldn't make it a good experience. Vita is quite comfortable for shooters. Platformers, 3DS is far better. RPGs is a bit less clear - look into specific titles. The 3DS has more of those but they may not be what you want, the ones on the Vita might be more what you're looking for (ie. Dragon's Crown).
<message edited by Satanas on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:51 PM>
Juste_Belmont

• Total Posts : 96
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:03 PM ( #3 )
I bought one today for $129.99 at Gamestop. It's used, but it's also the white Vita, so it's not like I could have bought it new anyway for a reasonable price. Buying it used also makes me feel less apprehensive about taking it in the bathroom to play, although I will have to clean it and cover the cameras on it first...

Anyway, I would suggest getting it if you're interested in the games and if you're willing to pay for the extras that you need. I bought P4 Golden and Virtue's Last Reward, but I have to wait for my 16GB memory card to arrive from Amazon before I can save or play my games from the PSN. I would recommend buying the 16GB from Amazon for $19.99 now if you want to get a Vita soon, a used 8GB memory card at Gamestop cost the same price and I'm betting it wouldn't be enough based on my experience with my PSP. 

There's also a good deal on a PS Vita Bundle on Amazon that includes a memory card, The Walking Dead game, Sly Cooper, Retro City Rampage, and Uncharted for $189.99 if you're interested in any of those games (I wasn't, but it's probably a better deal if you don't care about the color of the Vita and would rather buy a new console).

Hope that helps you. 
joeorc

• Total Posts : 211
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:13 PM ( #4 )
  Well i have one, and here is my Pro's and Cons for the system

Pro's: 

1)Great very clear, and very responsive multiple-touch points on the PSVita's capacitive screen, with No clear dead non responsive touch points, with the system that i have found. 

2)Front and rear facing, Camera's great for video chatting with other PSVita user's in my friends List. Great use with skype., Note the highest resolution camera's pretty, poor vs' higher end smartphone's , but it does the job well enough.

3)Sound is very well throughput, very clear and pretty good without needing bluetooth ones, but they are great for also skype also, good sound clear return. 

4)Very small or near to none problems with remote play, when it comes to remote play on a mid tier network speed, on time W. or DSL.

5)Game's play fantastic, the Games that i have Like soul sacrifice, not only look's good, but plays very well. great Multi-player co-op fantastic game

Con's: 

1)the Thumb sticks are kinda small, and short but they do well enough, but i found if you have larger hands like i do , that the play on them is not near good enough as those on a standard game pad, but that's expected due to the size requirements, needed to make it in theory thinner. the Sticks being longer would make the system that much harder to fit into a pocket than it already is, though i keep mine in a jacket pocket any way with larger deep pockets.

2)blank Card storage cost's and size, being expensive more than i would have liked, though i understand why to avoid the vector of attack against the point of entry into Hacking for Piracy purposes.

3) The games with higher end resolution on the PSVita take a much larger Team size, and thus takes much more time to produce , so the number of game releases are going to be smaller, even with the ease of development. Its development budget to build such games take quite a bit of time, its like development cycle for a living room console, it will pick up in speed, but at least for another 2 years until the team size broups get dedicated to the PSVita, right now the back catalogue of PSP until than.

Aside from these issues, it is the best handheld i have owned, im not even talking about just game handhelds like the Nintendo DS, or gameboy advanced or the 3DSXL, they are fantastic also,but from a sheer performance  point from applications non gaming or game's, im also talking about PDA's and smartphone's and i have had quite a few ever since the early 90's like with Windows CE, and Palm Pilots and Pocket PC smartphon's, and I have had quite a number of them over the year's. and yet with performance wise none of them even comes close to the PSVita. it is that good of a handheld.

<message edited by joeorc on Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:00 PM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10816
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:15 PM ( #5 )
Long story short, if you feel like getting a Vita, get a Vita. It has a decent enough library that this point and plenty to come out for it still from what it seems.

Personally I suggest going for the PSV 1000 model and not importing the PSV 2000 as it doesn't have that nice OLED.

More importantly though, if you got PS+, you got A LOT of the Vita's quality titles already. So there's that.
<message edited by Kenshin_BATT0USAI on Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:19 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Volume19

• Total Posts : 1
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Friday, December 20, 2013 4:10 PM ( #6 )
  I'm a forum noob so if anything goes wrong, my bad. Any ways , I have had two ps vita's in the past. I got one because i was not getting near my ps3 since I had school and interviews to film etc. basically no time any more for my console. When I did have time it would usually go to some app on my phone. So once the vita was out i picked one up fast with uncharted. That was my first ps vita and had many more to come. 1st ps vita Issues: -I had to many game cards to carry around and I eventually got annoyed. I had started with one game then by the end of the summer I had six teen. The 16gb memory card had enough space for more. I sold it because sometimes it was just another device I carried around, switching from games was annoying. I carried my games with my because sometimes id stay at a friends house. I sold it on Craigslist for 350 $ As the guy saw it as a killer deal since each game was around 40$ and the system was not old. 2nd ps vita As summer was ending and winter break was coming I knew I would need a ps vita again because I'll usually travel to the gramps house a few times. This time I bought a White ps vita and a 32gb memory card and just downloaded all my games. Solve my issue and I was very happy with it. :) !! Issues: -The Let down was once you fill up all your space, it becomes some what buggy. Then my little cousin said he was saving up for one and he claimed he had 230$ , the fact that it was buggy and I needed money. I sold it to him at a lost. 3rd ps vita ? Right now I am currently waiting on the new ps vita (slim) to come to the states. Once it is available I'll go pick one up! It's a great console if you're always on the go Or if you need a distraction at a boring relatives house.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Friday, December 20, 2013 4:47 PM ( #7 )
Personally if I could go back in time, I'd just buy a PSP and install homebrew.  The majority of games, well, actually 90% of the games I play on the Vita are downloaded PSP games.  Couple that with the ability to emulate older gen classics all for a very cheap price and you have a winner.  There just isn't enough games that truly interest me on Vita.  I bought it hoping it would be my answer for JRPGs, and it's just not happening.

All in all, look at the game library on each handheld, and the most games you see that interest you is the one you should get.
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14753
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Friday, December 20, 2013 4:52 PM ( #8 )
I still don't understand why they got rid of UMD for the vita. Marty boy apparantly has got the PSP homebrew up and running and freaking loves the thing.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:00 PM ( #9 )
Check out the games, see if the genre you prefers has the content that would do it for you. No one else can tell you better as they might like other genres.

And even if it were PSP games you'd like to play most on the PSVita, the PSVita wins for a simple reason: two analoge sticks! And the whole device just feels more sturdy, is more quality in not just the sticks, but all buttons etc. Oh and don't forget about the great colors that pop on the PSVIta OLED screen. OLED > LCD by far. Even the PSP games look so much better on PSVita because of this.

It is the best handheld I ever used. And if you like FPS, it has the best handheld shooter ever: Killzone Mercenary. Now playing: Tearaway and I totally love it. If you're into platformers you'll like it. Rayman Origins you'd enjoy too and the sequel on that, Rayman Legends, it is the better version of the game above the 360/PS3 version. If you got PS+ for PS3 and/or PS4 already, it is a total non brainer to get that PSVita for the free PS+ games

@Smokey

its easy why they ditched UMD... It needed a spinning drive and discs aka more use of energy/battery dying sooner, spinning parts/drive break easy etc etc. Its logical they got rid of that totally.
<message edited by TheMART on Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:15 PM>

Satanas

Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:06 PM ( #10 )
TheMART

It is the best handheld I ever used. And if you like FPS, it has the best handheld shooter ever: Killzone Mercenary. Now playing: Tearaway and I totally love it. If you're into platformers you'll like it. Rayman Origins you'd enjoy too and the sequel on that, Rayman Legends, it is the better version of the game above the 360/PS3 version. If you got PS+ for PS3 and/or PS4 already, it is a total non brainer to get that PSVita for the free PS+ games

I think most of what you're saying is sound, I am just wondering what about Legends makes the Vita version superior to any of the other versions.

And yeah the Vita is the only real option for handheld shooters. If that's an important genre for someone, the 3DS is to be absolutely avoided as even with that wretched Circle pad pro tumorous abomination you still have two weird circle pads rather than true analog sticks like the Vita/WiiU screens.
<message edited by Satanas on Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:08 PM>
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:11 PM ( #11 )
Better than 360/PS3 version, as Legends was made with some touch in mind or better said at first just for the WiiU. The port to PSVita had this gameplay in place, for 360/PS3 they had to make some other and less logical mapping to buttons. Legends feels at home on PSVita, more so than on 360/PS3.

Aside that, PSVita has pinch/zoom in Rayman, where you can zoom in the game and watch the great graphic details, or use it for levels where you want to look close, or zoom out to have the overview. 

Last but not least: PSVita version has 5 extra Murphy levels that WiiU doesn't even have. Well and to me platformers fit really good on handhelds.
<message edited by TheMART on Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:14 PM>

Satanas

Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:26 PM ( #12 )
TheMART

Better than 360/PS3 version, as Legends was made with some touch in mind or better said at first just for the WiiU. The port to PSVita had this gameplay in place, for 360/PS3 they had to make some other and less logical mapping to buttons. Legends feels at home on PSVita, more so than on 360/PS3.

Aside that, PSVita has pinch/zoom in Rayman, where you can zoom in the game and watch the great graphic details, or use it for levels where you want to look close, or zoom out to have the overview. 

Last but not least: PSVita version has 5 extra Murphy levels that WiiU doesn't even have. Well and to me platformers fit really good on handhelds.

Platformers work well on handhelds I can definitely agree there, #1 reason I got a 3DS was simply to play a platformer actually (otherwise I probably would have continued ignoring handhelds).

That's cool though, I didn't know Legends on the Vita had murphy-touchpad gameplay. Having played the Wii U version I've always found the Murphy multiplayer sections to be vital which is why I'd even avoid the PC version, despite it being far cheaper.
KozmoOchez

• Total Posts : 5326
Re:To Buy or Not To Buy a PS Vita - Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:02 AM ( #13 )
Basically, refer to my post in the "Handheld for JRPGs" thread. And that's just the JRPGs. The guys here explained some of the other good games, and I'll reiterate the backlog of PSP/PSOne titles that are already there (its not the full collection of psp games btw).  

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread