Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense)

ninja666

• Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:49 PM ( #1 )
No, I'm not searching for a mercilessly hard/punishing game. Quite the opposite, actually. I dig Dark Souls' dark and moody atmosphere and would love to play another game like it, just without getting severely punished for a slightest mistake. Don't get me wrong - I love Dark Souls and its difficulty is almost perfect to me, but sometimes I'm fed up with how the game penalizes you for everything and sometimes makes you go through near-impossible locations (take Tomb of the Giants or Crystal Cave for example). I'll probably get back to playing it sooner or later, but now I'm looking for an alternative. I still want a challenging game which does not treat you like an idiot, but not Dark Souls challenging. Single player action games or action rpgs in a dark fantasy setting would be best (no Diablo-like hack n' slash games though), but if there's nothing to be found, then I'll try other ideas. Dark Soul-ish combat is not a necessary factor (mainly because there's probably nothing else like it, maybe except Blade of Darkness with its horribly clunky controls), but it would be nice to actually feel like I'm attacking an enemy with a heavy slab of iron instead of just mindlessly mashing attack button. Please don't suggest: Dark Souls (duh), Hexen & Heretic, Rune, Enclave, Severance: Blade of Darkness, Dark Messiah, The Witcher 1 and 2, Hunted: Demon's Forge, Knights of the temple, Elder Scrolls series. Thanks in advance for all the help.
<message edited by ninja666 on Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:53 PM>
thorstein

• Total Posts : 419
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:54 PM ( #2 )
 Well, you could play Demon's Souls (PS3) Bwahahahahahaha! But, something akin to Dark Souls? Unfortunately last gen wasn't big in RPGs for the west. Have you played Fallout 3? Dark, RPG and thanks to VATS you can actually stop combat and pick your targets. Shadow of the Colossus would be a great game with that dark feel to it but that is PS2 era (there is a PS3 remake.) Dragon Age Origins is good.
KozmoOchez

• Total Posts : 5326
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:12 AM ( #3 )
There is one answer: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:21 AM ( #4 )
thorstein
Well, you could play Demon's Souls (PS3) Bwahahahahahaha! But, something akin to Dark Souls? Unfortunately last gen wasn't big in RPGs for the west. Have you played Fallout 3? Dark, RPG and thanks to VATS you can actually stop combat and pick your targets. Shadow of the Colossus would be a great game with that dark feel to it but that is PS2 era (there is a PS3 remake.) Dragon Age Origins is good.
I can't play Demon's Souls cause I don't own a PS3. I have a PS2 and a copy of SotC, but I don't really get how is it similar to Dark Souls. Except for the big boss fights they have absolutely nothing in common. I've played Fallout 3 already, but compared to FO1, FO2 and FONV it was just plain bad - Bethsoft tried to make a Fallout game and it turned out to be a post-nuclear Elder Scrolls game. Also, Dragon Age? I know you're trying to help, but it isn't even close to what I'm looking for.
KozmoOchez
There is one answer: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
It'd be great if I had a PS3 or an X360, which I don't. But something for PC like Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:52 AM ( #5 )
Hmm, check out Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl with the Stalker complete mod. But it's guns instead of swords and technically not an RPG(Although it may as well be, you'll see what I mean if you play it)
ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:09 AM ( #6 )
I've already played Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I didn't like it much. The atmosphere was all right, but what bothered me were the RPG elements. They looked out of place and kinda thrown in just to be in the game and not really to have a practical purpose.
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:20 AM ( #7 )
Really? I disagree. Loved the RPG elements. And the enemy variety. Felt like all those upgrades where very necessary to progress the game. Then the enemy variety, sigh - have to play it again soon.
ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:22 AM ( #8 )
Well, to each their own, I guess. If you like it, then have fun playing it. I think I need something else to entertain myself.
thorstein

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:56 AM ( #9 )
  You should have stated PC at the beginning. I just assumed you meant consoles. If you don't mind going the old school route, I still love to play all the Black Isle games. Especially Icewind Dale. There are all the Ultimas. However, though graphics improve, I'm not sure the games later in the series are as engrossing as those at the beginning. KOTR I & II. Shadowrun Returns is fun and a nice blend of fantasy RPG and dystopian sci fi. Deus Ex is good. Neverwinter Nights is fun. I haven't tried the MMO, but the old ones were great and there was a thriving community of gamers that made new modules (same with Shadowrun Returns). Dishonored might give you what you want without being a trad RPG. You also should be able to grab some Dragon Quests I-IV in the states were entitled Dragon Warrior. Hopefully this will give you the fix you need.
ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:35 AM ( #10 )
thorstein
You should have stated PC at the beginning. I just assumed you meant consoles.
Well, it's the PC section, isn't it?
throstein
If you don't mind going the old school route, I still love to play all the Black Isle games. Especially Icewind Dale. There are all the Ultimas. However, though graphics improve, I'm not sure the games later in the series are as engrossing as those at the beginning. KOTR I & II. Shadowrun Returns is fun and a nice blend of fantasy RPG and dystopian sci fi. Deus Ex is good. Neverwinter Nights is fun. I haven't tried the MMO, but the old ones were great and there was a thriving community of gamers that made new modules (same with Shadowrun Returns). Dishonored might give you what you want without being a trad RPG. You also should be able to grab some Dragon Quests I-IV in the states were entitled Dragon Warrior. Hopefully this will give you the fix you need.
These have nothing to do with what I'm searching for. If these are the best ideas you can come up with, then there really isn't a single game like Dark Souls. Thanks for the help, but I think we should stop for now.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3470
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:00 PM ( #11 )
ninja666

thorstein

You should have stated PC at the beginning. I just assumed you meant consoles.

Well, it's the PC section, isn't it? 

Guess he derped there for a minute, lol.

OP, I'm not sure if there are many games like Dark Souls... You might have to wait for the sequel next year.

I agree on the punishment thing. I never finished Dark Souls. I didn't mind the difficulty, but every time I messed up it made me start way back to some part I didn't feel like playing again, so I loaded up another game. Think it was Arkham City or Skyrim.
<message edited by MidnytRain on Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:51 PM>
thorstein

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:48 PM ( #12 )
  Yeah, I derped. I was looking through the "active threads" section and I clicked on a post entitled "Dark Souls." A game that was a spiritual successor to one of the most amazing Console games of this past gen. Dark Souls then went through a name change (the Demon's name was dropped) so that it could be brought to other platforms. Dark Souls was a port to PC, so I originally thought that the discussion would be about the console versions, not about the port. Anyway, too bad you can't be helped. I know that my mentions weren't "like Dark Souls." But, what I did was list some of the most immersive RPG experiences from the past 20 years. Some of them have a dark atmosphere. But oh well. Good luck on your search.
ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:54 PM ( #13 )
Wow, you are quite a sarcastic one, arent'cha? I know most of these games and they'd be good if I was looking for a traditional rpg, which I'm not. I was looking for an action game or an action rpg, that, if you haven't noticed yet, play differently than rpg games where you have to use mouse and mouse only (sometimes also keyboard, but mostly for hotkeys). I wouldn't really give two ****s about the atmosphere if I couldn't get immersed and I don't get immersed seeing bunch of characters from high above and giving them orders.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3470
Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:51 PM ( #14 )
Have you tried Kingdoms of Amalur?
thorstein

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:23 PM ( #15 )
  King's Field: The Ancient City for PS2 is by From Software and has some elements of the Souls games within. Kings Field is a PS1 title and should work on your PS2. Those are the closest I can find for you. Someone did mention Risen. Not sure if it compares though. And for difficulty and atmosphere you can't go wrong with Dead Space though it is Sci Fi/ horror.
<message edited by thorstein on Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:29 PM>
ninja666

Re:Looking for a game similar to Dark Souls (in a sense) - Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:36 PM ( #16 )
@MidnytRain Yea, I have. It felt so generic I wanted to kill myself after an hour of playing it. Absolutely nothing in it caught my attention and it was too easy (and I was playing on hard mode). @thorstein Kings Field might be just what I'm searching for. I think I'll start with Ancient City, cause the first one looks like crap and I don't tend to be complaining about graphics in games. Thanks.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread