So I feel strange about this...

bunfighterii

• Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
So I feel strange about this... - Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:21 AM ( #1 )
But I want a Wii U. To be clear, I've owned (at one point) every Nintendo home console since NES - well to be completely clear, my family has. But I had the Wii no more than a year - I sold it because it basically was upstaged by PS3. On that note, I've also owned every Playstation console since PSone. 

I haven't played Nintendo since I sold my Wii in early '08. But two things make me want Wii U - Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda. 

So I've got questions and I need answers:

1) Can I play 3D World without the Wii U tablet controller? I held one and I don't like it one bit. Also, what's two player on 3D World like? My GF wants to play with me.
2) Will any old external HDD work with the Wii U? I'm going to get the cheapest 8GB model, but I can see myself downloading some old school Nintendo favourites.
3) What is it like as a multimedia device? The PS4 has BluRay and that's it, so I only use it for games. PS3 is a bit better, and I still watch my Blu Rays on that. But what about the Wii U? How's TVii?

TheDivine

• Total Posts : 110
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:40 AM ( #2 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
Yep the pro controller works as does wii motes I believe. For coop it woks great, def something a gf would enjoy. 

Any external hard drive will work as far as I know along with USB sticks for more storage. I love that option personally.

For multimedia options it basically has none except for the apps like Netflix, hulu exc, and the tv features which is cool. It basically just controls your tv and any inputs. You can also search for specific shows and it will find them on Netflix, cable exc. I didnt use it extensively but my friend demoed it and it was pretty damn cool.

Overall its a slick, fast, fun system with good games and a sweet ass social media function built in (mii verse). There's not too much third party support but there's some really great games reguardless. It doesn't have ps4 power but when looking at X its still impressive. Its also a steal for 300 and you get a delux Zelda WW console, the game, and a dd copy of Hyrule Historia or a Delux system with two Mario games.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:58 PM ( #3 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
bunfighterii

But I want a Wii U. To be clear, I've owned (at one point) every Nintendo home console since NES - well to be completely clear, my family has. But I had the Wii no more than a year - I sold it because it basically was upstaged by PS3. On that note, I've also owned every Playstation console since PSone. 

I haven't played Nintendo since I sold my Wii in early '08. But two things make me want Wii U - Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda. 

1) Can I play 3D World without the Wii U tablet controller? I held one and I don't like it one bit. Also, what's two player on 3D World like? My GF wants to play with me.
2) Will any old external HDD work with the Wii U? I'm going to get the cheapest 8GB model, but I can see myself downloading some old school Nintendo favourites.
3) What is it like as a multimedia device? The PS4 has BluRay and that's it, so I only use it for games. PS3 is a bit better, and I still watch my Blu Rays on that. But what about the Wii U? How's TVii?

1 - Yes, but not for certain levels. Multiplayer is excellent and fun for anyone, even casual players.

2 - Yes, mostly. Note that SD cards will not work for external storage, though.

3 - Netflix on the Wii U is nice because of the ability to look through and select movies on the gamepad, then watch them on either the TV or Gamepad. TVii is cool if you have cable, and provides a nice image-based guide on the gamepad that also allows real-time comments. YouTube, Hulu and all that other stuff is also available. It won't playback any disc-based media, though.

Overall it's a good system, regardless of whether you get the 8GB or 32GB model.
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:59 PM>
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:35 AM ( #4 )
Thanks for the help guys! I'm looking at picking it up within the next month - found some pretty good deals around on the net. 

I'll post my impressions when I get it. Aside from 3D World, any other games you can recommend? Preferably something I can play with the gf.
Satanas

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Friday, January 10, 2014 9:53 AM ( #5 )
bunfighterii

Thanks for the help guys! I'm looking at picking it up within the next month - found some pretty good deals around on the net. 

I'll post my impressions when I get it. Aside from 3D World, any other games you can recommend? Preferably something I can play with the gf.

3D World is good for that, as is Rayman Legends. Nintendo Land and Wii Party U may be better choices though since they're casual, just be sure to have some Wiimotes (though I think Party comes standard with a Wiimote Plus).
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4402
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Friday, January 10, 2014 10:14 AM ( #6 )
bunfighterii

Not a co-op game but try ZombiU. My brief time with my Wii U was spent playing the crap out of this game. It was not well reviewed but it is a great survival horror game.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
FAT MAN GO BOOM

• Total Posts : 15345
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Friday, January 10, 2014 4:49 PM ( #7 )
bunfighterii

1: I have not played it want it... a lot of great reviews for it... 

2: You can use any external HDD with USB 2.0 that has external power source.   meaning it needs and adaptor and plugged into the wall...  If the HDD is powered by the usb cable it will not work. 

It is awesome for down loading old games... a blast from the past... 

3: No No No No... it is not a media device... think you can get things like netflix and hulu or other services.. like them but it does not play dvds or blu rays... 

Other then that.. it is worth it... it has some great games out and more to come.. 

I like nintendo they make good games and their systems are the only place you can play their games... if you are buying this system for 3rd party games... yes there will be some... but go into it thinking of nintendo games and you will be happy with the purchase... 
[ali
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, January 20, 2014 5:00 AM ( #8 )
hi guys - to update you all I'm holding off on the Wii U....

Why you ask? I got a free Wii! I realise I said I sold my Wii ages ago, but there was an unopened black Wii Sports Resort pack sitting around at work (I work for a large online retailer) and I asked, and received. 

So i've jumped online, ordered Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword and I'll make my way through those before jumping aboard the Wii U.

I have to say, after spending so much time the last few years on PS3 (and now PS4) where virtually every game revolves around killing people somehow, I'm looking forward to getting back into some classic Nintendo franchises - the type of games that got me into gaming in the first place as a kid.

(not to say I'm not eagerly awaiting PS4's 2014 offerings :))
Chard

• Total Posts : 499
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, January 20, 2014 5:33 AM ( #9 )
Skyward Sword is absolutely worthy of the franchise, and one of my favourites. I've seen many disagree with this on the internet, but I think Zelda has one of the most annoying fanbases in gaming.

Picnic

• Total Posts : 165
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:16 AM ( #10 )
bunfighterii

But I had the Wii no more than a year - I sold it because it basically was upstaged by PS3. 

In truth, the original Wii had been upstaged before it had even launched! Not only by the Xbox360 but even the original Xbox sometimes had better graphics than the Wii. Not that pure tech alone was a major consideration when the art style and gameplay depth of many Wii games was so lazy and casual (with a few notable exceptions).  

The original Wii proved the old saying 'You can't underestimate the tastes of the public'.

<message edited by Picnic on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:19 AM>
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:37 AM ( #11 )
Thought you'd all be interested in Update 2... 

A couple days ago I posted I got a free Wii and decided against the Wii U. It's all been going fine... until I spotted Target having a sale on Wii U's today - 8GB Basic Pack for $299 with 2 games (that's cheap for Australia - the only one widely available is the Deluxe for $428). So I snapped it up online, picking it up instore in the next couple days. I'll pick up a copy of 3D World for it too, and I've got Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword all on their way from online orders - all which I can play on backwards compatibility!

I'll hand the Wii back to work, we can set it up in the games room. Wii U here I come baby!
Satanas

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:12 PM ( #12 )
bunfighterii

Thought you'd all be interested in Update 2... 

A couple days ago I posted I got a free Wii and decided against the Wii U. It's all been going fine... until I spotted Target having a sale on Wii U's today - 8GB Basic Pack for $299 with 2 games (that's cheap for Australia - the only one widely available is the Deluxe for $428). So I snapped it up online, picking it up instore in the next couple days. I'll pick up a copy of 3D World for it too, and I've got Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword all on their way from online orders - all which I can play on backwards compatibility!

I'll hand the Wii back to work, we can set it up in the games room. Wii U here I come baby!

You'll have a lot of fun with 3D World. Even though it came out back in November and isn't super long, I still play it with my friends. The very last post game world was incredibly challenging. We are still trying for 100% completion by completing all worlds with all characters.

bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:29 AM ( #13 )
Blockbuster online are having a great games sale, picked up a copy of 3D World for $52! I'm going to have this gigantic Nintendo rush when all these games come in, it'll be brilliant.

Will keep me occupied for quite a while.
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Saturday, February 01, 2014 7:27 AM ( #14 )
I finally got my Wii U yesterday - still haven't got Mario 3D World yet, so the only game I've played is Nintendoland - which has been fun playing with a few people.

Also got Mario Galaxy 1-2 and Zelda Skyward Sword. Been playing Galaxy alot, great game. Can't wait to get 3D World.
ZyroXZ2

• Total Posts : 50
Re:So I feel strange about this... - Sunday, February 02, 2014 12:15 AM ( #15 )
The Wii U grows on you, and soon, you'll just fall in love with it... lol 
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, February 03, 2014 4:45 AM ( #16 )
It really is growing on me - so far I've purchased a few Virtual Console games and I got a few Wii games cheap online. Still haven't got 3D World yet - ordered it 10 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Anyway, Nintendoland is great, I've been playing that with my gf and sister and having a blast. 

Other than that I've been playing Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword, really loving them both too. The Wii U is a neat little unit, the whole second screen thing really comes in handy.

It might sound odd, but as a system its got a lot of 'character' - very different to the Playstation experience (not that I dislike that either) but very clearly consoles made for completely different audiences/gaming styles. But yeah, loving the Wii U so far - just can't wait for my fully fledged Wii U game instead of all these Wii and VC titles!
ZyroXZ2

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, February 03, 2014 8:28 PM ( #17 )
bunfighterii

It really is growing on me - so far I've purchased a few Virtual Console games and I got a few Wii games cheap online. Still haven't got 3D World yet - ordered it 10 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Anyway, Nintendoland is great, I've been playing that with my gf and sister and having a blast. 

Other than that I've been playing Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword, really loving them both too. The Wii U is a neat little unit, the whole second screen thing really comes in handy.

It might sound odd, but as a system its got a lot of 'character' - very different to the Playstation experience (not that I dislike that either) but very clearly consoles made for completely different audiences/gaming styles. But yeah, loving the Wii U so far - just can't wait for my fully fledged Wii U game instead of all these Wii and VC titles!

You're in for a treat with SM3DW!  You should play through it WITH your gf and sister at the same time, trust me!
bunfighterii

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, February 10, 2014 5:39 AM ( #18 )
Does anyone use Art Academy? I really dig it - been drawing for the past 4 hours :S - but if I game for 4 hours I kinda feel guilty like I wasted my time a bit. 4 hours on Art Academy then posting to MiiVerse I feel like I achieved something.
ZyroXZ2

Re:So I feel strange about this... - Monday, February 10, 2014 2:23 PM ( #19 )
bunfighterii

Does anyone use Art Academy? I really dig it - been drawing for the past 4 hours :S - but if I game for 4 hours I kinda feel guilty like I wasted my time a bit. 4 hours on Art Academy then posting to MiiVerse I feel like I achieved something.

I have it, but I used to draw art a long time ago on there, and haven't had time since, lol
Check out my talk show on YouTube, The Wii U "Five"!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages