52 Games- 1 Year Challenge

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 56 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
MattyG

• Total Posts : 3355
  • Reward points : 0
52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:26 PM ( #1 )
I thought this was a cool idea for a thread. I found it on Neogaf, (I'm a bit late as this was originally posted on December 31st, but oh well) so all credit goes to them, but I thought it'd be fun to do here. I've copy and pasted the rules from the OT below.

"It's simple, play and finish 52 games within 2014 and tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next, claim a post and update us on your progress.

Use this format for your post

Game 1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

Game 2: NAME - DURATION PLAYED

Game 3: NAME - DURATION PLAYED

FAQ:

How do I know when I completed a game? 
That's up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it has no ending or a MP game. PS: You can do replays, as long as all the games are completed in 2014.

Any other rules?
Nope! Just have fun and see if you can play 52 games in one year. 

HALL OF FAME:

Gaffers N4Gers who have met this challenge will be displayed in full glory here.

Send a PM with a link to your post of 52 games with comments."

This isn't a competition or anything, just something fun to drum up conversation. So get playing and have fun!
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:28 PM>

MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:29 PM ( #2 )
I have neither the time nor money to beat 52 games in a year. Didn't you just drop a bit o' money on a rig, Matty? Even Steam sales don't make 52 games cheap, unless you've got a big backlog. I don't.
<message edited by MidnytRain on Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:33 PM>
MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:35 PM ( #3 )
MidnytRain

I have neither the time nor money to beat 52 games in a year.

I doubt anyone does. I don't even think I'll get close. This is less to actually challenge yourself to play 52, and more just to keep track of and see what other people are playing. It might work, it might not. Worth a shot.

And yeah, I did drop a lot on a rig (have to buy the mobo and RAM next week and then an OS and I'll be done.) I have about 50 games in my Steam library that I've never touched though, so I might be able to pull this off. There's also a few PS3, Vita, 3DS and WiiU games I have that I've never touched, so I'm sure I have 52 to play, it's just playing them that might be the issue. But yeah, my backlog is way too big, so the quantity thing isn't an issue.
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:39 PM>

Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 783
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:09 AM ( #4 )
MidnytRain

I have neither the time nor money to beat 52 games in a year. Didn't you just drop a bit o' money on a rig, Matty? Even Steam sales don't make 52 games cheap, unless you've got a big backlog. I don't.

I have 350 games on steam and have had a steam account for 3 years. 116 games a year.
MidnytRain

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:22 AM ( #5 )
Bladesfist

MidnytRain

I have 350 games on steam and have had a steam account for 3 years. 116 games a year.

I don't think I'd ever finish that many. Even if 116 games were all 5 bucks each, that's nearly six hundred dollars in games. I imagine that's only affordable if a lot of them were cheap arcade games.
<message edited by MidnytRain on Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:24 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:06 PM ( #6 )
52 is way too many. Hell I'd argue 12 is pretty insane too. I'll try to do 10 this year maybe, but I'm going back to school in September(hopefully) so I doubt I'll have the time nor money.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
MidnytRain

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:16 PM ( #7 )
Why 52 anyways? Seems like a random number.
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:18 PM ( #8 )
MidnytRain

Because there are 52 cards in a standard deck.
Each game completed gets you a card, and you can use all the cards to craft a badge.
MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:29 PM ( #9 )
MidnytRain

I think its because of the 52 weeks in a year ( not 100% on that though).

MidnytRain

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:06 PM ( #10 )
MattyG

MidnytRain

Oh, derp. Beat a game every week? That's absurd...
MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:25 PM ( #11 )
MidnytRain

MattyG

MidnytRain

Oh, derp. Beat a game every week? That's absurd...

Yeah, it is a bit much. But then again, if you play a lot of games that you don't really "beat" like Spelunky, Don't Starve, DayZ or Rust, then it seems pretty manageable. Besides, the OP of the thread I took this from said that you don't neccesarily have to beat it, just play until your finished. But yeah, 52 is a bit high. But that's why it's a challenge I guess.

B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:30 PM ( #12 )
I couldn't possibly think of 52 games I'd actually want to play this year... let alone half that.
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:31 PM ( #13 )
Seems like something only possible if your job occupation was game commentator where all you do is sit on your fatass, copy and paste recycled video assets, and talk over it while swishing spit between your teeth just loud enough to crack the audio. 

MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:35 PM ( #14 )

So it's looking like no one thinks this is a good idea. Went over well on Neogaf, so I thought it might do ok here. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Eiffel

Seems like something only possible if your job occupation was game commentator where all you do is sit on your fatass, copy and paste recycled video assets, and talk over it while swishing spit between your teeth just loud enough to crack the audio. 

Good god, just thinking of that sound makes me cringe. And now I can't stop thinking about it.

B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:38 PM ( #15 )
MattyG

So it's looking like no one thinks this is a good idea. Went over well on Neogaf, so I thought it might do ok here. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Eiffel

Good god, just thinking of that sound makes me cringe. And now I can't stop thinking about it.

All the people that might have been up for doing this have been banned. :P
Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:42 PM ( #16 )
Yeah this sounds pretty awful. I've been off since mid-December and have been playing Kingdom Hearts the whole time and still haven't finished it, and when I get back to college it'll take me probably until June or July to finish my next JRPG which will be Tales of Symphonia when it comes out at the end of February. This sounds like a fantastic way to learn to hate your hobby though.

MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:56 PM ( #17 )
Nate-Dog

Yeah this sounds pretty awful. I've been off since mid-December and have been playing Kingdom Hearts the whole time and still haven't finished it, and when I get back to college it'll take me probably until June or July to finish my next JRPG which will be Tales of Symphonia when it comes out at the end of February. This sounds like a fantastic way to learn to hate your hobby though.

I don't think the OP on Neogaf meant it as a competition. More of a way to just keep track of what you and others have been playing and see how many games were played. Unless someone were to take it sure seriously and play games just to beat everyone, I don't think it'd make anyone hate their hobby. You're are so negative, they're having fun with this over where it was originally posted, figured it'd go over just as well here. 
<message edited by MattyG on Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:00 PM>

Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:14 PM ( #18 )
... I spent the last hour launching 91 games on steam and closing them shortly thereafter.
Am I currently in the lead?
<message edited by Ducky on Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:15 PM>
MattyG

Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:19 PM ( #19 )
Ducky

... I spent the last hour launching 91 games on steam and closing them shortly thereafter.

Obviously.

coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:52 Games- 1 Year Challenge - Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:26 PM ( #20 )
Ducky

Seems like only Poker Night at the Inventory and Battlefield: Bad Co. 2 are shown on your recent game activity for today.  Disqualify him for lies, Matty!    

Now to use that method to take the lead.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 56 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread