Your Stance on Fan Translations

triverse

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Your Stance on Fan Translations - Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:07 PM ( #1 )
Everyone likes to come across a new title that they didn't know about but what about when that game is in a language you don't speak?  Do you just tough it out and "try" to enjoy the game even if you may not be able to tell what is going on?  This is obviously a harsh situation to face in an action game but almost brutally insurmountably tough in a role playing game.

Do you feel fan translations are good or bad?  Me personally, I enjoy them as they allow me to enjoy a game that was otherwise either unavailable (no official translation) or was badly translated (Phantasy Star II, III and IV being a good example).
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:21 PM ( #2 )
I LOVED Fan translation. 

Back in the day when all JRPGs were in japanese, I used to download language patches for them.. Good old days.

We still go through that here and there: http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/
There's something I support.. and I also support http://skybladecloud.word...0-english-translation/

I'm very excited for these. I've already bought the games on JP PStore, and have them downloaded on my PC. 

VC3 I haven't started yet coz I need to finish up VC1/2 first.
FF type 0 i'm still waiting on the project completion. 

Chard

• Total Posts : 507
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Monday, January 13, 2014 1:11 AM ( #3 )
Fan translation allowed me to play Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret Of Mana 2), and I'm very grateful for that.

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Monday, January 13, 2014 10:25 AM ( #4 )
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Definitely necessary when you got companies like Sega around.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Cat

• Total Posts : 14101
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Monday, January 13, 2014 3:12 PM ( #5 )
I'm pro-fan translations. 
Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Monday, January 13, 2014 4:08 PM ( #6 )
Don't see why anyone would particularly be against them, I don't see who it could harm. As for me, I prefer to try games in the language (unless it's a proper JRPG where I won't have a clue where I'm going without one). I bought Final Fantasy Type-0 a few weeks ago and it arrived last week and once I finish Kingdom Hearts I'll probably get going on that. When I'm done, I'll look up a translation of the story, but I like playing games in Japanese since it helps me even with my very limited grasp of the language.

X

• Total Posts : 333
Re:Your Stance on Fan Translations - Monday, January 13, 2014 5:24 PM ( #7 )
I'm for fan translations and appreciate the dedication they put into it. Allowed me to play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ and maybe one day I'll be able to play Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Ace Attorney Investigations 2). 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread