Indies ~ Overhyped?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
xX-StolenSoul-Xx

• Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 0
Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:31 PM ( #1 )
I really feel like the influx of Indies, like on the Ps4 is not appealing to me. I do not truly understand the difference of having an "Indie" section on the ps4 instead of just basic "Games" like they did on the Ps3. Anyways some indie games are great sure, like Resogun but the games are really niche in appeal for me.
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 582
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:36 PM ( #2 )
But they're only on Ps4 and not X1? 
caseh

• Total Posts : 317
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:54 PM ( #3 )
In a word, yes. Indie games have this strange aura which protects them from negativity in the gaming community. The fact of the matter is for every great Indie title, there are 100 that can only be described as sh!t.

Doki Doki Universe is my favourite example of late, it looks like the artwork was drawn by a 5 year old. Scratch that, my nephew of 4 has already exceeded that level of art design. I know it's not all about the graphics but please, make a f#@cking effort.

thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 7018
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:29 PM ( #4 )
I love Indi games, the more odd the better. The only reason I never thought of getting rid of m y 360 is because of all the fun I have had with those cheap little bite sized gems.

Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:45 PM ( #5 )
The vast majority of indie games are absolutely horrendous or uninteresting, and I agree that the flood of unimpressive indie games does not make the PS4 look any better, especially considering how many absolutely shouldn't even require the PS3->PS4 hardware bump as they look unimpressive either way.

Occasionally though, you will have an extremely polished, well-made indie game like Dust: An Elysian Tale. Graphically quite beautiful looking, filled with content, and excellent gameplay. It's on a Humble Bundle Indie sale right now actually.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:27 PM ( #6 )
Satanas

The vast majority of indie games are absolutely horrendous or uninteresting, and I agree that the flood of unimpressive indie games does not make the PS4 look any better, especially considering how many absolutely shouldn't even require the PS3->PS4 hardware bump as they look unimpressive either way.

Occasionally though, you will have an extremely polished, well-made indie game like Dust: An Elysian Tale. Graphically quite beautiful looking, filled with content, and excellent gameplay. It's on a Humble Bundle Indie sale right now actually.

I think another exception is Octodad: Dadliest Catch. In fact, it's my GOTY contender.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:46 PM ( #7 )
caseh

In a word, yes. Indie games have this strange aura which protects them from negativity in the gaming community. The fact of the matter is for every great Indie title, there are 100 that can only be described as sh!t.

Doki Doki Universe is my favourite example of late, it looks like the artwork was drawn by a 5 year old. Scratch that, my nephew of 4 has already exceeded that level of art design. I know it's not all about the graphics but please, make a f#@cking effort.

I image searched it. It reminds me of Scribblenauts, which I didn't have a problem with. 

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Satanas

I think another exception is Octodad: Dadliest Catch. In fact, it's my GOTY contender.

What exactly do you do in that game? 
Picnic

• Total Posts : 165
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:45 AM ( #8 )
Complain about indie games by all means (surely you liked Limbo though) but are you making any attempt to replace your disappointment with those by playing the very fine, not always strictly 'indie' games that mostly Sony studios make or at least support for £9.99 or less?

e.g. The Unfinished Swan, Rain, Papo and Yo.

And have you played Double Fine's The Cave?

FAT MAN GO BOOM

• Total Posts : 15453
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:50 AM ( #9 )
I totally disagree... I think indies are a much needed thing in gaming.   This is where new game play and art style are coming from... 

It seems big budget games are mostly sequels and are clones of each other...

Look at titan fall COD BF4 Killzone and Halo some of the major FPS shooters out there..  And they all have many many things in common or have copied each other when ever something sets them apart from the pack all the other versions have it in the next time they spit out a game. 

I think indie games are showing big publishers that taking a chance here and there with the right game and right idea will lead to big things. 

There are new ideas out of the indie world that would have never shown up as a title from a big publisher because the publishers would never take a chance on that. 

Game like Don;t starve, Minecraft, resogun, fez are going to lead to someone at a big publisher to look at that game idea.... I may take a chance of backing some great dev teams, games, and ideas in the future.

What could the people behind minecraft do with a huge budget, or the people behind resogun?  Imagine the games they could make if they were able to have bigger budgets grow there teams. 

Yes there are a many indie games that are not worth it. But for every 4 or 5 indie games there is going to be a fantastic one that is well worth the money and time and with luck move that dev team forward and onto bigger and better budgets and games. 
[ali
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Friday, March 14, 2014 2:31 AM ( #10 )
MidnytRain

caseh

I image searched it. It reminds me of Scribblenauts, which I didn't have a problem with. 

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Satanas

What exactly do you do in that game? 

You fake being a husband in a family and live life normally, but in reality you're...an octopus.

I was just being sarcastic though, it's a inside joke.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Friday, March 14, 2014 6:49 AM ( #11 )
When it comes to the recent gaggle of indie titles I've played (many of which I simply haven't been able to review), I can't say I've been overwhelmed by them as much I anticipated.  I think the alleged scarcity of "actually" good indie titles is an overblown reaction as well.  Just last fall alone, I had a short streak of playing Gone Home, Papers, Please, and The Stanley Parable around the same time and those were some of the best of 2013.  

And even when they're not that great to me (like Papo & Yo), at least there's oftentimes qualities in there that show there was a passion to create that game.  
<message edited by coolbeans on Friday, March 14, 2014 7:04 AM>
kazall

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 PM ( #12 )
My brother just made an indie that's pretty cool: www.superadventuremegaquest.com
thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:14 PM ( #13 )
xX-StolenSoul-Xx

I really feel like the influx of Indies, like on the Ps4 is not appealing to me. I do not truly understand the difference of having an "Indie" section on the ps4 instead of just basic "Games" like they did on the Ps3. Anyways some indie games are great sure, like Resogun but the games are really niche in appeal for me.

I believe we already have a thread for this.  It is called the N4G Hipster's Lounge.  You can look down your nose at everything there and play up what is purely not popular as if it's "raw."

Is this not the ultimate of hipsterdom: claim something is overhyped in the most general way.  But this is perfect.  Generalize all indies as "overhyped." 

Not any one specific title, like, "You know, Thomas was Alone is overhyped."  Yes, let's go after an entire genre of games.

Horse racing games are overhyped.
dedicatedtogamers

• Total Posts : 56
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:52 PM ( #14 )
I don't understand your question, OP. "Indies ~ Overhyped?" is like asking "First person shooters - Overhyped?" No, not even that, because "Indies" isn't a game genre. It's like asking "PC games - Overhyped?" There are a ton of indie games, and a ton of indie games are terrible. Pick the ones you enjoy and move on.
Headless

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:41 PM ( #15 )
I don't think they are overhyped (I am kind of biased since I am an indie myself). But these days, if you want different games, more creative you need to go toward independents. Sure there are great games coming out of the AAA non indie studios, but it's rare that they are really different. Of course, it's so easy these days to publish a game (especially on mobile) that anyone can and does it, and that leads to a lot of clones and other crap.
caseh

• Total Posts : 317
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:05 PM ( #16 )

Is this not the ultimate of hipsterdom: claim something is overhyped in the most general way. But this is perfect. Generalize all indies as "overhyped."
Indie games in general get a free pass, they are constantly referred to be the saving grace of the gaming industry. Allowing creative genius to thrive and give us titles that are apparently innovative and ground breaking...

This is true, for a handful of games. It's like trying to hit a hole-in-one on a par 3, it will happen once in like 1000 attempts but nothing is said of the failed efforts. Hence the free pass.

John Kratos

• Total Posts : 429
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Friday, April 18, 2014 4:26 AM ( #17 )
I don't know if I would call them overhyped, but I think the press generally doesn't like to see their faults. As for me, I enjoy indie games just as much as I would enjoy,( or not),  any other game out there. I do need to play more of them though, I have a bunch sitting on my Steam account/PS4/PS3/360/XBO that I simply haven't touched. I really liked Stanley Parable last year, but Gone Home didn't wow me too much. Just like the previous year, I really liked Dust, but thought Journey was just a boring game.

Also Mercanery Kings, that just came out on PS4 is pretty awesome, and I absolutely can't wait for Transistor,( loved Bastion), or Child of Light.
<message edited by John Kratos on Friday, April 18, 2014 4:28 AM>
KozmoOchez

• Total Posts : 5327
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:58 AM ( #18 )
I can't think of any indie game that has had as much press/hype as any FPS game out there, so not overhyped. Are they mostly good? Not really, but there's always a handful that happen to awesome in their own ways. The whole "free pass" thing makes sense also. They are usually developed by a small group of guys with little to no money, so yes, give them a break. TowerFall was developed by one guy, and if you consider all the little extra details in arrow physics, how the map interacts with the arrows/characters and all that stuff, its downright impressive that one person could do something that cool.

Also, of the indie games I've played, most of them come from dev teams that can't afford fancy graphics engines, or who don't have enough people/time to build one - so I hate when people complain about the graphics "lazy devs using 16bit bla bla bla". Blacklight Retribution is the only "indie" game that I can say has a pretty sexy 3D graphics engine. To be honest, some of the story telling and feeling of adventure or what have you that comes out of some indie games are vastly superior to games we gladly wait in line to pick up for $60 ( or more for limited edition). This is mostly due to the fact that the dev teams are making the game from the heart, not for the money. Look at the guys who did Papa & Yo, story about how this guy dealt with growing up with an alcoholic father, real stuff. I advise you to check out that live action trailer they have for the Steam version. I even read that they got an anonymous letter from a guy who grew up in a similar situation and the person reading to the dev team said he literally had to stop every paragraph to gather himself. You won't find anything like that playing some AAA game from EA, Sony M$, TakeTwo, Activision, etc.

Farsendor1

• Total Posts : 2049
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:47 AM ( #19 )
some indie games have unique gameplay elements that we will never see in most aaa games. 
[/url]
PeeWizzle

• Total Posts : 2870
Re:Indies ~ Overhyped? - Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:35 AM ( #20 )
Indie games like Fez and Hotline Miami are better than most "AAA" games released in the last year but they sure as hell aren't the type of games that will sell a PS4 to the average consumer. 
My soul is still dancing.  
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread