PS3 Slim vs Super Slim?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
  • Reward points : 0
PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 12:36 AM ( #1 )
So I've been thinking of buying my brother a PS3. He has moved to Cali recently for his job and he left our PS3 here. So he is coming back later this week, so I'd like to send him with a PS3.

Question is: Slim or Super Slim?

What I'm really looking at is lack of features / reliability between the two. I did a lil' research, but i didn't find anything too different between the two. But some (old) articles aid super slim doesn't have wifi? Is this true?

I just wanted to know what you guys have / recommend? 

TWB

• Total Posts : 3
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 1:07 AM ( #2 )
This is just "gossip" but when my PS3 Slim was acting up (another story in itself) I went to my local used games store to see if it still could read new games (they were kind enough to assist me in this, it was around xmass so I was a potential "customer").

When he saw I had PS3 160Gb (or 120Gb) Slim model, he suggested a repair if it would become incapable of playing and reading games because apparently all regular slim models have the longest lifespan out of all the PS3 models and they are less prone to problems. He said that most of the people asking for the repair have super slim and few have actually brought their super slim in hundreds of pieces asking if the official repair could still be performed :D

So yeah, I would suggest going with regular slim.
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 1:17 AM ( #3 )
Yikes! Talk about a horror story. I guess that explains why Super Slim is much cheaper. 

TWB

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 1:25 AM ( #4 )
Yeah, I think its mostly about how well the shell has been built. I dropped my PS3 FFS and it didnt suffer any damage so I guess those lego PS3s were lost in similar accidents (stumbling on to the cable... pulling the console to the floor...). I can never be sure if my problem existed before this drop incident or not but I guess its something that has always been there (inability to play bluray movies. I never tried to watch bluray movies until quite recently so its not really a big deal for me)
iNcRiMiNaTi

• Total Posts : 1357
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 1:46 AM ( #5 )
What the hell is a super slim? Is that even rea..... oh wtf it is. The disc tray looks weird as hell on the super slim and it slides to the side instead of having that cool slot that slides the games in.
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 2:15 AM ( #6 )
TWB

Yeah, I think its mostly about how well the shell has been built. I dropped my PS3 FFS and it didnt suffer any damage so I guess those lego PS3s were lost in similar accidents (stumbling on to the cable... pulling the console to the floor...). I can never be sure if my problem existed before this drop incident or not but I guess its something that has always been there (inability to play bluray movies. I never tried to watch bluray movies until quite recently so its not really a big deal for me)

I'm not too worried about mishandling, my brother is very careful w/ electronics.

iNcRiMiNaTi

What the hell is a super slim? Is that even rea..... oh wtf it is. The disc tray looks weird as hell on the super slim and it slides to the side instead of having that cool slot that slides the games in.

Yes.. it's somewhat of an abomination. But if it functions the same and is as reliable. I wouldn't really have any issue. 

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 2:17 AM ( #7 )
Having owned all three. I'd suggest the super slim. It looks better than the other two, and is much smaller. More importantly, the disc drive is accessed via a sliding plastic piece rather than that terrible disc eating thing it had before. Oh and also it has physical buttons. (I.e. it's harder to break)
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 2:19 AM ( #8 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Having owned all three. I'd suggest the super slim. It looks better than the other two, and is much smaller. More importantly, the disc drive is accessed via a sliding plastic piece rather than that terrible disc eating thing it had before. Oh and also it has physical buttons. (I.e. it's harder to break)

I thought about this. It would be much easier to keep the system clean with this.  

I was initially interested in the 12gb PS3 SS. I have a 1tb HDD so I'm not looking for HDD space in my ps3
<message edited by WildArmed on Monday, March 10, 2014 2:21 AM>

Lukas_Japonicus

• Total Posts : 670
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 4:35 AM ( #9 )
I'd go for the slim. I've had mine since 2011 and it hasn't gave me any problems, isn't loud and doesn't get hot. Even after playing hours of GTA5.

It does creak like an old wooden boat when i press on the top of it though, lmao.
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 8:57 AM ( #10 )
Lukas_Japonicus

I'd go for the slim. I've had mine since 2011 and it hasn't gave me any problems, isn't loud and doesn't get hot. Even after playing hours of GTA5.

It does creak like an old wooden boat when i press on the top of it though, lmao.

lol wut. 

I've been checking prices lately, seems like there is about a +50$ difference for slim vs superslim. 

RavageX

• Total Posts : 34
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 9:09 AM ( #11 )
I got a super slim after having my old ps3 die yet again. I live down south so there is a bit of a heat problem. My old ps3(s) would run the fans on high constantly.

Quick note, I take care of my systems. The things have their own special shelf free of any other electronics, etc....so the fact my PS3s kept kicking the bucket upset me(One official sony repair/replacement, two gophermod repairs).

Anyway, back to the point. I have thankfully had not one single issue with the super slim. Mine is quiet and does not overheat. Doesn't get much better than that. 
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 9:16 AM ( #12 )
RavageX

I got a super slim after having my old ps3 die yet again. I live down south so there is a bit of a heat problem. My old ps3(s) would run the fans on high constantly.

Quick note, I take care of my systems. The things have their own special shelf free of any other electronics, etc....so the fact my PS3s kept kicking the bucket upset me(One official sony repair/replacement, two gophermod repairs).

Anyway, back to the point. I have thankfully had not one single issue with the super slim. Mine is quiet and does not overheat. Doesn't get much better than that. 

That's great to know actually. I still have my 60gb (died once and got a official sony replacement). It's really loud and not to mention has very bad cooling. 

Even in Chicago it shuts off from time to time from overheating. 

TWB

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 10:16 AM ( #13 )
Hmm, I would still warn you that because super slim uses lid instead of closed disc drive, Im willing to bet that you will run into some disc reading problems some years from now.

I just recently had to repair my original fat PS2 due to grinding noise and disc reading problems (purely mechanical system to retrieve discs so I guess it wears off pretty easily. This is also the reason why Im not going to buy PS4 yet because this "grinding" problem in the PS2 is caused by regular usage and therefore is a desing flaw. The parts simply wore off.)

They got rid of this problem in PS2 slim model by changing the way how slim models disc drive is solid and you put the disc inside by opening the lid but the lid is also poor in quality (floppy) and my second PS2 which is a slim, has started acting up. The problem is that the console doesn't recognize lid closing >_> Im soon going to fix it too.

My point is, I feel that the "disc sucking" in the slim and fat PS3 models is much more reliable than super slims slide lid. I havent actually ever seen super slim in first hand and gotten around to test how it works but if the lid system is just a cheapo plastic panel (what it very likely is seeing how super slim was created to be the "ultra cheap" PS3) you are bound to have problems with it. Thats why I feel you should go with regular slim model.
xHeavYx

• Total Posts : 941
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 10:56 AM ( #14 )
The super slim is a bit more loud, but if you sit kind of far there shouldn't be a problem.
Are you getting it new or used? If new. I'd just go with the cheaper one
WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 11:29 AM ( #15 )
Yeah plan on getting a new one for him. I'm leaning towards slim, but for the 50$ difference I could buy the 2 year ps3 warranty for super slim x.x

I'll ask him what he prefers later this week as well

Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Monday, March 10, 2014 4:31 PM ( #16 )
Just so you know if you go for the Super Slim and plan to upgrade its storage you will have to buy the caddy for the HDD since in the 12GB version the 12GB is installed in the system, not in a HDD. (At least in Europe this is the case, I doubt it's different in the US but who know.)

WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:35 AM ( #17 )
Nate-Dog

Just so you know if you go for the Super Slim and plan to upgrade its storage you will have to buy the caddy for the HDD since in the 12GB version the 12GB is installed in the system, not in a HDD. (At least in Europe this is the case, I doubt it's different in the US but who know.)

Oh, thanks. I didn't know this. That kinda sucks. There goes my idea of upgrading anytime soon then. Will have to hunt for a caddy online. Or maybe just go w/ a version that comes w/ a caddy. 

Nate-Dog

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:59 PM ( #18 )
I don't think any do to be honest. I got one in a local store for €10, Gamestop should have them for $10 or so.

WildArmed

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:44 PM ( #19 )
Nate-Dog

I don't think any do to be honest. I got one in a local store for €10, Gamestop should have them for $10 or so.

Oh do you think they ahve caddies in stock? I didn't think they did. 
I was thinking of buying a version that came w/ a HDD, therefore a caddy. 

Nate-Dog

Re:PS3 Slim vs Super Slim? - Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:57 PM ( #20 )
WildArmed

Nate-Dog

Oh do you think they ahve caddies in stock? I didn't think they did. 
I was thinking of buying a version that came w/ a HDD, therefore a caddy. 

I'd say they would, or at least if they didn't maybe some other store that sells games would. But yeah I get your point, one with a HDD already in it saves you some.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread