Gaming PC vs PS4

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
tzzv

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:34 AM ( #1 )
[I didn't really know where to post this actually...Here or in the PS4 section]

Hello everybody.
So, I have always been a hardcore PC fan and I've always "hated" console gaming (as in, never owned a console in 20 years of gaming), mainly because of controllers...Let's just say I love keyboard/mouse and after all this time, they feel like an extension of my arms.
Now, though, I'll have to move to a new (smaller) house, and I'll probably have to deal with a "smaller" budget (Not that small, but I'll get to it later), and less space. So, I was finally thinking about buying a PS4.
I have to admit it was mainly because of the usual high cost of a gaming pc. I have been a little bit off the PC gaming scene in the last couple of years, because I was busy with real life, so now I'm trying to make up for the lost time.
Now, I've been lurking around the web and forums for informations about this, and I started from the assumption that a next-gen gaming console would be SO much better than a PC right now, for so many reasons.
The thing is, the more I read, the more doubts I have.
Do you think it would be possible to build a good gaming PC (as in, better than PS4 performances, not only in theory but also in reality) with, let's say, a 1000$ budget?
I know that matching the hardware of the PS4 would probably be doable, but would it really mean matching the performances as well? I mean, with the games not being optimized and all...I'm a little bit worried about that.
If you think that building such a gaming PC would be doable, would you please help me with the configuration?
I have tried looking for this, but all the information I can find around the web are about 6 months old and we all know how much these things can change even in a short time.
What would you suggest? Please, I know that a PC is so much better because you can do so many more things with it, but that's not really my concern, since I have 2 laptops which I use for work as well..So with this computer I'm thinking about gaming only. I hope you've read this far and thanks in advance for all the help!
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:10 AM ( #2 )
If keeping up is your worry, I'm sure a thousand bucks will do much more than that. 
tzzv

Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:16 AM ( #3 )
Well, not just "keeping up"...
What I'm saying is: with that budget, can I build a gaming PC that NOT ONLY looks better on paper than PS4 spec's, but also actually performs better than a PS4?

I know it would be more expensive than a PS4, but as I said, I prefer keyboard/mouse, plus games are less expensive so I think that makes up for it...

Also, I'm worried because it seems like consoles always keep running games perfectly, for years, whereas PCs get "old" way too soon even if they are way more expensive and that concerns me...
Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 783
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:25 AM ( #4 )
tzzv

What I'm saying is: with that budget, can I build a gaming PC that NOT ONLY looks better on paper than PS4 spec's, but also actually performs better than a PS4?

I know it would be more expensive than a PS4, but as I said, I prefer keyboard/mouse, plus games are less expensive so I think that makes up for it...

Also, I'm worried because it seems like consoles always keep running games perfectly, for years, whereas PCs get "old" way too soon even if they are way more expensive and that concerns me...

if by perfectly you mean they run games terribly for years then you are correct.
MidnytRain

Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:33 AM ( #5 )
tzzv

I was saying that with a thousand bucks you build PC that'll probably outperform the consoles for the rest of their life, never mind using next year's Nvidia/AMD cards...

No one else seems to be posting here, but if I'm not mistaken, you can fit a GTX 780 into a thousand-dollar budget. 
<message edited by MidnytRain on Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:35 AM>
tzzv

Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:34 AM ( #6 )
Do you think right now would be a good time to buy a new gaming PC?
I'm not sure I understood what you meant with "next year's cards" but I'm thinking that maybe you mean that there are some new cards coming out soon (which would make right now not a great moment)..?

Thanks
xHeavYx

• Total Posts : 941
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:39 AM ( #7 )
I think you'll have better luck  here
http://forums.n4g.com/Off...read-m885337-p123.aspx
Kon

• Total Posts : 11113
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:51 AM ( #8 )
Consoles are running games perfectly? lol. These ''next-gen'' consoles are struggling to maintain a stable 30fps NOW, I can't even imagine 8 years from now. shivers
Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.
thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:41 PM ( #9 )
PS4 if you want the games that aren't on PC also.

Do you have the knowledge to build your own PC?  Go to an electronics show and buy the parts and put one together (always the cheapest option.)
One of my favorite keyboards I've ever owned I picked up for $5 at an electronics show.

Use pricewatch to find out just how much you should be paying for pieces.

Not so savvy?  Use newegg, ibuypower, or one like them.  Stay away from Dell (the walmart of computers) or Alienware (nice product, very expensive).

(Note: Why I don't like Dell:  He laid off his workers due to "the economy."  Then his son tweeted a receipt of a $40,000 dinner.)

tzzv

Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:53 PM ( #10 )
Well thanks. Unfortunately I live in Europe (Italy) so I guess those options wouldn't be available to me.
Alienware would be, I actually used to own one of their laptops and it was amazing while it lasted...But yeah, very very expensive.

I think I'd be able to put it together myself but I'm not 100% sure so I don't trust myself for that..

I really don't know right now though, because I started to google and read about it (I've been "out of the scene" for a while so it takes a bit to get up to date) and I'm seeing that there's a new generation of graphic cards coming so I'm thinking that maybe it wouldn't be a great option to build a PC now, and maybe it would be better to wait for a few months..What do you think?
-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:03 PM ( #11 )
I'm half retarded and put together my own computer with just some youtube videos. It's pretty easy.

Oh and PC > Console forever and always. If you do not have patience then just go for consoles.
<message edited by -MD- on Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:10 PM>
Ingram

• Total Posts : 647
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:18 PM ( #12 )
You guys, -as always-, make it sound like PC is the platform of choice for the knowledgeable people, the patient people, the intelligent people.

You guys have repeatedly, clearly show that It's not... It's a matter of budget limitation, priorities and preference.
Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 783
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:26 PM ( #13 )
Ingram

You guys, -as always-, make it sound like PC is the platform of choice for the knowledgeable people, the patient people, the intelligent people.

You guys have repeatedly, clearly show that It's not... It's a matter of budget limitation, priorities and preference.

lol Ingram still hates PC gamers.
MidnytRain

Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:31 PM ( #14 )
Ingram

You just described every hobby ever. 
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 7018
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:37 PM ( #15 )
The way I got about my hobbies is superior to the way you go about your hobbies.

ZyroXZ2

• Total Posts : 69
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:17 PM ( #16 )
As most have already posted, a little homework time and research will go a LONG way to getting REALLY good bang for your buck.

A $1000 budget intelligently spent and put together will land you a PC nearly 3 times as powerful as the PS4, so you have nothing to worry about!

Do some research, a little shopping, a night to put it together, and you'll be a happy camper!
Check out my talk show on YouTube, The Wii U "Five"!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:40 PM ( #17 )
Ingram

PC is the platform for anyone that is okay with the knowledge that you need to do a bit of research into the parts you get and how to put it together. If you are allergic to either of those things, PC will not work out to be cost effective, and you'll likely make bad, non-upgradeable choices that you will regret in the future.

Having said that, PC is always the best experience for any game that exists on both consoles and PC. Source: I play games on both console and PC.
mnal234

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:50 AM ( #18 )
I know the PS4 will be out in a few months, and it has a lot of brilliant specs. But i can't wait because i just finished high school. I can't play PS3 games yet on a PC, and i can't jailbreak or hack my PS4 if i finally get it. These will all have to take some time. The PS4 is also better when it comes to cost. It's less than $450, but a high-end Gaming PC will cost about $1000. Which one is better? | |
<message edited by mnal234 on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:51 AM>
| |
hardeepmeghera

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Gaming PC vs PS4 - Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:05 AM ( #19 )

"I know the PS4 will be out in a few months". LOL. 
CanadianTurtle

• Total Posts : 87
TV size - Friday, March 28, 2014 10:53 AM ( #20 )
Well, the benefit of any console is that you can play it on a large screen HDTV, and it's a much more immersive experience. Yes I know, you can do that with PC as well, but I don't know that many people who have their gaming PC and their HDTV in the same room.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread