Linux Thread

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 63, messages 1 to 20 of 1255 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
LinuxGuru

• Total Posts : 832
  • Reward points : 0
Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 4:34 AM ( #1 )
**THIS POST IS CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED**

UPDATE: 6/04/08 - I have decided to share my recommended Panel-embedded application launchers / applets. These come in VERY handy, especially if you're an active Ubuntu user, always installing and changing and messing around....you know. You can add any of these by right-clicking on a program's icon in the applications menu and selecting "add this launcher to panel", or you can right click the panel itself and choose "add to panel". If you choose the latter, you'll receive a pop-up menu with a list of applets to add to your panel(s).

- Update Manager
- Firefox
- Synaptic Package Manager
- Software Sources
- Control Center
- Appearance
- Root Terminal
- OpenOffice.org Word Processor
- Pidgin Internet Messenger
- GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)
- Calculator
- Tracker
- Tomboy Notes
- Take Screenshot

UPDATE: 5/30/08 - I have come to the conclusion that the wisest decision would be to remain with Ubuntu 7.10, instead of upgrading to 8.04. There are too many small changes that may be irksome to some users, so just wait for the newer 8.10 to be released in October. Along with 8.10 will be a complete new interface overhaul that will be more intuitive, and easier to use, and it hopefully will be the first time Ubuntu Linux receives major international recognition from the public.

However, if it's your first time using Ubuntu, then by all means start with 8.04. If you haven't tried Ubuntu before, then you won't be complaining about this or that, because that's only for finicky long-time linux users =) You will love Ubuntu, I guarantee it.

UPDATE: 5/26/08 - I have installed and tested another Debian-based distribution, known as MEPIS Linux. It defaults to the more Windows-like KDE desktop, and features a plethora of included software and restricted drivers such as adobe flash player and what-not. Anyways, it seems to perform very well, faster than Linux Mint actually, and I will recommend this distro to anybody who is curious about it. See link at bottom of this post for more info and downloads.

UPDATE: 5/26/08 - I am now supportive of Xubuntu Linux, an official derivative of Ubuntu which uses the fast and lightweight Xfce interface. It runs extremely fast on computers with memory amounts as low as 128MB. See official Ubuntu web page for links to Xubuntu info and downloads.

UPDATE: 5/25/08 - In addition to Debian and Ubuntu, I now officially use, recommend and support the Linux Mint distribution. It is nearly identical to Ubuntu / Debian, but it uses a menu style similar to SuSe Linux, which is in turn similar to Windows. The menu is a central, organized cascade-type that is not unlike the menu style seen in Windows Vista. It is very user-friendly.

UPDATE: 5/20/08 - I have installed Wubi, a utility which lets you install Ubuntu on a virtual hard disk partition through Windows. While it is very easy to use and it allows you to uninstall Ubuntu linux as if it were a program, the actual performance of Ubuntu while using it is degraded slightly from the performance levels it would achieve if it had its own dedicated partition. The disk performance in Ubuntu suffers between 10-25%. Overlooked at first, but quite annoying and noticeable later on.

Introduction

Hey all, this is the official thread here in the Tech section that is dedicated to helping people with Ubuntu or Debian-based Linux distributions.

Myself and any moderators that post here would gladly welcome any questions or concerns regarding your debian-based OS.
--------------------------------------------------

References & Comparisons

Wubi

Ubuntu VS Debian - A "father vs. son" Comparison

Debian VS. Red Hat Linux - A Comparison

Benefits of Linux (Outdated article but still applicable)

Distrowatch - Best place to discover Linux

Debian & Ubuntu Downloads

Debian Linux main site

About Debian Linux

Debian - Wikipedia

Debian Linux Install CD 32-Bit

Debian Linux Install CD 64-Bit

Ubuntu Linux Main Site

What is Ubuntu?

Ubuntu - Wikipedia

About Ubuntu Desktop Edition

Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit Live CD

Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit Live CD

About Ubuntu Server Edition

Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition 32-Bit Live CD

Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition 64-Bit Live CD

Miscellaneous Links

Buy Ubuntu CDs

Request Free Ubuntu CDs

Website dedicated to Ubuntu Linux on the PlayStation 3

Lists and Forum Links

Official Ubuntu Forums - GREAT site! Friendly people!

Ubuntu Forums - How to install latest version of Ubuntu Linux that is stable on the PlayStation 3

A list of Debian-based distros

A list of terminal commands for most debian-based distros

A forum user choosing a debian-based Linux distro

Other Recommended Debian-based Linux Distributions:

Linux Mint

Mepis Linux

Knoppix Linux

Damn Small Linux

eLive Linux

64 Studio Linux

gNewSense Linux
<message edited by LinuxGuru on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:19 AM>

zonetrooper5

• Total Posts : 5011
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 6:23 AM ( #2 )
Gonna move this to the tech zone; If this is gonna be a Linux help thread then provide some basic information about some different distros of Linux and why they are used etc. Will pin this thread once there is more infomation in it. This is just a list of Linux Distros to use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_linux_distros

Ubuntu is the linux distro which I would probably reccomend to people who are new to Linux. The link to the download section of the Ubuntu site is provided below:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu < This is the desktop version

There is also a server edition if you want that:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/serveredition

If downloading from their site is too slow then you can torrent it, make sure you have a torrent program such as Utorrent or Bittorrent.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4152923/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
LJWooly

• Total Posts : 24120
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 6:52 AM ( #3 )
Nice thread, mate.

Thinking of installing Linux on my PS3, but haven't got round to it yet. 

GoLeafsGo

• Total Posts : 894
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 12:41 PM ( #4 )
Hey guys, just a small question.

I've installed Ubuntu 8.04 (with a LOT of Guru's help), and was just wondering one itty bitty thing: is it possible to access my files on Windows via Linux? I did it earlier, but after a restart, and coming back into Windows, and then heading back to Linux, it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Is there a 'permanent' solution?

LinuxGuru

RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 12:56 PM ( #5 )
Your windows drive should be on your Ubuntu desktop as a mounted disk.

You should be able to browse your windows installation from there.

Is it gone now?

Also, is your sound working now leafs?

Dukester101

• Total Posts : 4787
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 1:01 PM ( #6 )
I'm pretty knowledgeable in Linux as most people who frequent here would know.

I run 7.04 at work and 7.10 at home. Having upgraded to 8.04 yet, as I'm waiting till all the kinks get worked out and the build becomes a tad more stable.

I do run Windows, but not often, and only in the Virtual Server.
"Defensor Fortis (Defenders of the Force)"
This post is provided as-is, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
LinuxGuru

RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 1:03 PM ( #7 )

ORIGINAL: Dukester101

I do run Windows, but not often, and only in the Virtual Server.

The only place it SHOULD be used.

LoL!

Additonally, I use Ubuntu 8.04, and needless to say....it's sort of an "inbetween" that a lot of poeple are going to skip until Intrepid Ibex 8.10 comes out in October. Ibex is going to be the one with a complete interface overhaul, like 8.04 was supposed to be, but they decided to hold off until 8.10

I also use Debian, the father of Ubuntu and all debian-based distros. It's also extremely fast. I'm lovin' it.
<message edited by LinuxGuru on Monday, May 19, 2008 1:07 PM>

zonetrooper5

• Total Posts : 5011
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 3:35 PM ( #8 )
This topic has been pinned, if you need any help with Linux distros etc then post your problems in this thread to make it easier for use moderators and other people who would like you help you.
GoLeafsGo

• Total Posts : 894
RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 3:41 PM ( #9 )
I got my sound working.
For some bizarre reason, im getting output from the input for my mic =\!

And as far as Windows drive being mounted goes..is that automatic?..or do I need to do it on my own?
If it's the former, then no. It's not there.

LinuxGuru

RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 4:43 PM ( #10 )
Have you tried Places > Computer ?

If it's listed anywhere, it should be listed in the Computer folder as a drive.

As far as the desktop mounting thing goes....yeah, it should be automatic.

LinuxGuru

RE: Linux Thread - Monday, May 19, 2008 4:46 PM ( #11 )

ORIGINAL: zonetrooper5

This topic has been pinned, if you need any help with Linux distros etc then post your problems in this thread to make it easier for us moderators and other people who would like to help you.

Thanks for the thread pin.
<message edited by LinuxGuru on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:45 AM>

Polluted

• Total Posts : 18754
RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:05 PM ( #12 )

ORIGINAL: GoLeafsGo

I got my sound working.
For some bizarre reason, im getting output from the input for my mic =\!

And as far as Windows drive being mounted goes..is that automatic?..or do I need to do it on my own?
If it's the former, then no. It's not there.

In Hardy Heron your Windows disc should mount automatically. Does for me anyway.

I Highly reccomend everyone check out the awn window manager. It's f*cking sweet. Looks kinda like the dock in OSX.

- The Corrupt -

• Total Posts : 21676
RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:13 PM ( #13 )
I have a few questions regarding Ubuntu... My laptop has a 120Gb HDD split into two partitions (one is 67.7Gb and the other is 32.7Gb), and I'm thinking of Dual Booting Ubuntu on the second partition. Will it work, is it worth it, and how much space will be taken up on the second partition by Ubuntu once it has installed? Oh, and one more question... What's the best Boot Loader?
PSN ID: TheCorruptedOne
3DS ID: 1891-1230-7244
Polluted

RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:20 PM ( #14 )

ORIGINAL: - The Corrupt -

I have a few questions regarding Ubuntu... My laptop has a 120Gb HDD split into two partitions (one is 67.7Gb and the other is 32.7Gb), and I'm thinking of Dual Booting Ubuntu on the second partition. Will it work, is it worth it, and how much space will be taken up on the second partition by Ubuntu once it has installed? Oh, and one more question... What's the best Boot Loader?

If you install Ubuntu it will automatically install the GRUB bootloader which is generally considered to be the best.

It can take up as much or as little space as you want. You just adjust a sliding bar when you're installing or you can set it to use up all the free space ladt on your PC. It's very customizable.

It *will* work, but it's frustrating to use at first. once you get used to it, thoguh, you'll never want to boot into windows unless you're playing a game. It does everything Windows or OSX can do, only better.

Don't give up on it if things aren't working right at first. There are a lot of Linux geeks on this forum to help you out.

- The Corrupt -

RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:26 PM ( #15 )

ORIGINAL: Polluted

If you install Ubuntu it will automatically install the GRUB bootloader which is generally considered to be the best.

It can take up as much or as little space as you want. You just adjust a sliding bar when you're installing or you can set it to use up all the free space ladt on your PC. It's very customizable.

It *will* work, but it's frustrating to use at first. once you get used to it, thoguh, you'll never want to boot into windows unless you're playing a game. It does everything Windows or OSX can do, only better.

Don't give up on it if things aren't working right at first. There are a lot of Linux geeks on this forum to help you out.

*nodnod* I'll keep in mind to download the install file then. I would do it now, but it would take forever to download a 700Mb file - even with this connection. But I'll certainly give it a go, if the held belief is that it's pretty badass.
Polluted

RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:31 PM ( #16 )
Check this out:

http://wubi-installer.org/

I used it to get my ex-gf into Linux. It's not as ideal as a regular install, but it's really easy to do. You just download the installer, click yes a few times and let it do it's thing. If you aren't happy with Ubuntu, you just click uninstall and it's gone. Simple.

Once you fall in love with Ubuntu and want to do a normal installation you're supposed to be able to migrate it onto it's own partition, but when I tried that it just screwed up GRUB...badly.

Anyway, give it a try if you're unsure about Linux.

- The Corrupt -

RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:37 PM ( #17 )

Check this out:

I used it to get my ex-gf into Linux. It's not as ideal as a regular install, but it's really easy to do. You just download the installer, click yes a few times and let it do it's thing. If you aren't happy with Ubuntu, you just click uninstall and it's gone. Simple.

Once you fall in love with Ubuntu and want to do a normal installation you're supposed to be able to migrate it onto it's own partition, but when I tried that it just screwed up GRUB...badly.

Gawd... Thanks a lot! :B Just gotta wait 20 minutes for the download.  It'll take up 8GB... That's what the installer said was a "comfortable size".
AuToFiRE

• Total Posts : 11531
RE: Linux Thread - Friday, August 29, 2008 3:47 PM ( #18 )

ORIGINAL: - The Corrupt -

Check this out:

Gawd... Thanks a lot! :B Just gotta wait 20 minutes for the download.  It'll take up 8GB... That's what the installer said was a "comfortable size".

if you need help at all with it let me know, ive been on ubuntu for a year now

RSI: AuTo   
Feel free to add me, just let me know you are from N4G
@cl1983 No.
Polluted

RE: Linux Thread - Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:03 AM ( #19 )
I just need to vent my frustration with Windows. I ran Ubuntu and only Ubuntu for a couple of years, but when I got my new PC I decided to dual boot XP and Ubuntu for those rare occasions when having Windows available will make my life simpler like when I need to flash the firmware on a router or MP3 player or something.

Anyway, all was going well enough except that I never really found the need to boot into Windows. Then I introduced my girlfriend to Paper Mario 64 through Project 64 (a Windows only emulator) and she was hooked. i showed her how to hook up the sixaxis to play and start up the emulator and thought nothing more of it.

This morning I woke up and she had somehow completely f*cked everything up. I don't know what she did or how she did it, but my windows installation was completely broken. I didn't press the issue because I probably would have said something mean and she obviously felt bad already.

Reinstalling isn't a viable option for fixing a broken Windows installation when you're dual booting because Windows is an @sshole and it writes over any existing boot loader and basically f*cks you.

It's all sorted out now, but here's the thing that pisses me off: There's no way this would have happened under Linux. I don't care what bone headed chick stuff my girlfriend does to my computer when I'm running Linux, she can't screw it up. It's bulletproof.

You know how frustrated tech support workers say people should have to obtain some sort of license to operate a PC? I don't agree with that at all. People should have a license to operate a *Windows* PC.

Stupid f*cking Microsoft...

/wall of text.

Resistance2

• Total Posts : 2166
RE: Linux Thread - Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:03 PM ( #20 )
where do you get compiz fusion for ubuntu just started using ubuntu yesterday im using it right now

money 5 1UPS, 100 BM,125 scoins, 52 Sniper Shells, 5 juicy buns, 154 jack-offs,5 HHHoe's, 200 kk 1 AuTo-A,5 inn
items:Snoop_Dizzle's Cologne
Shankle Seal of A
Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 63, messages 1 to 20 of 1255 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread