Quitting Smoking

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 96 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
TMAN

• Total Posts : 43176
  • Reward points : 0
Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:02 PM ( #1 )
For some time now I have been struggling with smoking cigarettes. It' an addiction I can't seem to get over. A lot of times in my past, dating non smoking women, I smoked very little, or quit, there are even times when being single I managed to quit for awhile.

Tomorrow, is a new quit date for me. I have planned this for a month now, talking with my doctor about it and have decided that it was my time to quit for good. I guess I'm looking for some support and wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts on how/ when/ and why you quit if/ when you have smoked cigarettes. How did you over come it and what did you do? Did you really struggle with it, or are you one of those, like my sis who smoked once for a year, and just quit for the hell of it? I've also found since I hurt myself due to an injury and can't work for the time being, I've been smoking a lot more. My lungs feel heavy and awkward.

So tomorrow is a new day for me, and I'm quite determined to over come this addiction.

Enough is enough!!  >:(

UNBAN RAGE AND TENSTEPS!!!  
ER-AM

• Total Posts : 385
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:14 PM ( #2 )
I smoked for about 6-7 years. And at the worst of it, I would go through a pack and a half in a 12 hour shift. I tried quitting a few times by using the patch, which ****ed me up. or by switching to cloves or cigarillos. Neither way worked for me. Trying to cut down didn't work either because there was always something to use as an excuse to light up. Finally, as I was about to finish a pack, I said, "I'm done after this pack" and it worked. It was a struggle, but I haven't had a smoke in 3 years. It still sucks being around people when they smoke and I get a craving, but so far I haven't picked it up again yet.

Also, good luck quitting. You ****ing quitter!
<message edited by ER-AM on Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:16 PM>
DRUDOG

• Total Posts : 4180
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:15 PM ( #3 )
Chewing the gum helped me a lot.  There was a time when I could quit and start up whenever I wanted and cigarettes didn't have their claws in me, but as time went on that changed.  Once I got back to the States I knew I had to quit and I just basically decided to go the gum route.  At first you chew it and smoke and then eventually just quit smoking and only chew the gum.  Got to the point where I didn't want any more cigs at all and didn't even need the gum.  Wasn't really hard, but I just had to keep at it for a little while until the real cravings passed.  Probably took about 2 weeks total.  It's been about 6 years now and I've even smoked a couple here or there just to reinforce the idea that I don't really need a cigarette.  They actually taste like **** now.
<message edited by DRUDOG on Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:16 PM>

Pain

• Total Posts : 3692
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:18 PM ( #4 )
TMANX1

For some time now I have been struggling with smoking cigarettes. It' an addiction I can't seem to get over. A lot of times in my past, dating non smoking women, I smoked very little, or quit, there are even times when being single I managed to quit for awhile.

Tomorrow, is a new quit date for me. I have planned this for a month now, talking with my doctor about it and have decided that it was my time to quit for good. I guess I'm looking for some support and wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts on how/ when/ and why you quit if/ when you have smoked cigarettes. How did you over come it and what did you do? Did you really struggle with it, or are you one of those, like my sis who smoked once for a year, and just quit for the hell of it? I've also found since I hurt myself due to an injury and can't work for the time being, I've been smoking a lot more. My lungs feel heavy and awkward.

So tomorrow is a new day for me, and I'm quite determined to over come this addiction.

I used to Chew Copi/skole back when i played Football/Rugby since well i needed my Lungs... could only afford to choke them with weed so i choose to breath so i chewed.. but later.. since i burned doobies and drank i kinda smoked for a bit... was easer to get my fix..then to chew.. and when you was drinking well..a smoke was easer..

Then... i ran out of money lol so i had to pick 1 eveil to commit myself too i choose weed lol no more nic for me.. but oh boy i love catching some secondhand smoke.. awwwww...... soo good... but soo bad..

Now.. i chewed LOTS of Gum..and ASS LOADS of Nicorette gum.. and candy.. lots of candy.. the problem was not getting over the need for nic but the constant fiddling with your hands.. Thats why you get that funny fake smoke thing on tv thats out..

Its nice to be Nicotine free you feel better i find, so Good luck all the power to you and Kill the addiction Dead.

AuToFiRE

• Total Posts : 11591
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:20 PM ( #5 )
Qutting is easy, ive done it dozens of times

but seriously im in the same boat, the most successful way for me is to keep your hands busy, and any craving you get drink some water or a coke, if its still there, use your willpower and keep your mind occupied with somethign else. Im going to try and quit once again tomorrow, but try and take small steps, if you smoke 5 cigarettes a day(like me) only keep 4 cigarettes with you and once that is easy, move to 3 a day, and so on and so forth, im here for you bud

RSI: AuTo   
Feel free to add me, just let me know you are from N4G
@cl1983 No.
TheColbertinator

• Total Posts : 7301
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:23 PM ( #6 )
I quit a few years back and in order to stop smoking,I started drinking.However it turned out better since I was drinking at parties,at clubs so I met new people.Then I stopped quitting before I knew it and was having the time of my life from all the new interesting people I met.

Now I rarely smoke except whenever someone offers one to me.

TMAN

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:26 PM ( #7 )
I always found when I had quit or smoked VERY little, that, ya, they did taste and smelled like sh!t, and want that feeling about them again.

Right now, as of tomorrow, I'm going to be using the Nicorettes, 4 mg. I stocked up on them. Before I go to sleep, the lighters, ashtray and anything else that has to do with them, are going in the garbage. Tomorrow, when I wake, Imma giver sh!t and do this for good.

I'm an addict, and no longer want to be.

RockmanII7

• Total Posts : 2584
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:26 PM ( #8 )

Just remember, I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.
AuToFiRE

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:28 PM ( #9 )
BaseballFan15

Just remember, I know I can. I know I can. I know I can.

fixed.

@cl1983 No.
Ru

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:44 PM ( #10 )
I quit once using the patches. Lasted about 6 months. I have been smoking for about 12 years total now. I Smoke a solid pack and a half of marb reds a day.
I too have been seriously considering quitting and am wondering just how I should go about it. (IE = Stalling) 
I've been looking into the E-Cigarettes which you can reduce the amount of nicotine over time with. 
I have never considered using the gum for some reason but now I think i might try that when I too find the strength to quit.

My Advise: Dont Give in Never Surrender Never Give Up

Also think of what you can do with all the MONEY you will save! 
For me I would save about $200 a month!  

<message edited by RuJoshin on Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:05 PM>
Attached Image(s)

TMAN

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:55 PM ( #11 )
Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I'll be posting in here looking for help, I'm sure. I was going to make this thread on the forums I'm a Mod on, but this site is most partial to me, because you people know me better. So, I look forward to your help in beating this addiction.

Thank you all very much.

Off topic...

Speaking of Mod, I won't be one that other site I'm on as of tomorrow. After some training, I was left alone on the forums there to deal with all of it myself, unfair to me, imo, that sites forums are a lot busier than here. I don't know how the Mods on here deal with the hate PM's, and everything else that goes on with being a Mod. I've learned a much better understanding of what it's like being a Mod, and it ain't fun, by any means. I've learned to be some what more diplomatic, as best I can, but I have to say, if I ever met some of these 'lil bastards in RL, I'd beat the livin' sh!t out of them. Lol.

So kudos to our Mods on here, sincerely.

Ru

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:14 PM ( #12 )
TMANX1

Off topic...

Speaking of Mod, I won't be one that other site I'm on as of tomorrow. After some training, I was left alone on the forums there to deal with all of it myself, unfair to me, imo, that sites forums are a lot busier than here. I don't know how the Mods on here deal with the hate PM's, and everything else that goes on with being a Mod. I've learned a much better understanding of what it's like being a Mod, and it ain't fun, by any means. I've learned to be some what more diplomatic, as best I can, but I have to say, if I ever met some of these 'lil bastards in RL, I'd beat the livin' sh!t out of them. Lol.

So kudos to our Mods on here, sincerely.

Just wait until you havent had any cigarettes for a while...
Then you will be all like: "F**k you I hate you you are dumb GTFO out of my sight WTF are you doing? 

God I swear I will Fu*$ #*$@  #$*@! #@!*** mother %4#"  

<message edited by RuJoshin on Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:15 PM>

AuToFiRE

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:14 PM ( #13 )
RuJoshin

I quit once using the patches. Lasted about 6 months. I have been smoking for about 12 years total now. I Smoke a solid pack and a half of marb reds a day.
I too have been seriously considering quitting and am wondering just how I should go about it. (IE = Stalling) 
I've been looking into the E-Cigarettes which you can reduce the amount of nicotine over time with. 
I have never considered using the gum for some reason but now I think i might try that when I too find the strength to quit.

My Advise: Dont Give in Never Surrender Never Give Up

Also think of what you can do with all the MONEY you will save! 
For me I would save about $200 a month!  

thats my wallpaper

@cl1983 No.
TMAN

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:21 PM ( #14 )
RuJoshin

Just wait until you havent had any cigarettes for a while...
Then you will be all like: "F**k you I hate you you are dumb GTFO out of my sight WTF are you doing? 

God I swear I will Fu*$ #*$@  #$*@! #@!*** mother %4#"  
Lol, I wouldn't doubt it. Anyhoo, try those Nicorettes RuJ, they've worked for me before,if they don't this time Doctor is going to put me on Champix. I am going to quit, one way or another this time.

And I spend more on cigs, the are 13 bucks a pack here and I've been smoking a pack a day, if not more. Might just as well as roll and light up a 20 dollar bill and smoke that, no? Lol.

UnSelf

• Total Posts : 2569
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:23 PM ( #15 )
really? an addiction, what is this 1986?

nah seriously though, i never understood how ppl get addicted to things, the closest ive gotten addicted to sumn was VG's.

but then my ps3 broke and before that happened i used to contemplate wth i would i do if that were to occur. now that it has, it just leaves more time for other things.

nah but yea man, i like to think its all in ur mind. i mean from ur testimony it sounds like you're just smoking cause you can.

maybe its me but i think the root of the problem lies within what compelled you to pick up your first cigarette in the first place. Peer-pressure? Stress? Low Self-esteem? whatever it was remember that you're no longer plagued with those setbacks, and your ability to rid yourself of a substance, is part of the very thing that differentiates your maturity from then to now.

Part of being a man is being responsible. So what you get stressed...life is hard, stop resorting to cigarettes and suck it up

wuss :P
GlossGreen

• Total Posts : 1565
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:24 PM ( #16 )
Good luck TMAN. I know that kicking the smoking habit is hard as hell, not from experience mind you. I've seen too many people try and not stick it out. 

But I do have to kick this coke habit of mine. The drink, not the powder. Caffeine is a bitch too.
StylizedPlayer

• Total Posts : 116
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:25 PM ( #17 )
This poster helped me quit smoking instantly. I literally gave it up at that minute, but the next 3 days were hell.

Megaton

• Total Posts : 3812
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:08 PM ( #18 )
I quit in 2006 after about 6 years of smoking a 1 - 2 packs a day.  My situation is not typical, though.

I was born with asthma, so I shouldn't have been smoking in the first place.  Whenever I got a bad cold or something, I'd usually end up with lung problems because of my smoking.  I've had pneumonia 3 times that had escalated from a regular cold, just to give you an idea.  New Years Eve 2005 I started feeling like I was getting really sick, so I didn't smoke for most of that day in an attempt to lessen the coming blow.  The next day I woke up and could hardly breath.  I was rushed to the hospital, and spent more than a week there before being released (with a $30,000 hospital bill to show for it).  Essentially it was looking like a life or early death situation.  I didn't use gum or patches or anything, and I did have a few cigarettes with friends over the course of that year, but as of today I haven't had a cigarette since 2006.  The smell actually makes me kinda sick now.

I don't know if there's any advice you can draw from that, but there's my story.  I've quit many things, including some really hard drugs, but quitting cigarettes was easily the most difficult.  I feel much better for it, though.
solar

• Total Posts : 1360
Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:09 PM ( #19 )
keep yourself as busy as you can mate.  when im with my girl, say 3-4 days at a time i can have no smokes and be perfectly fine.  then like a dumbass i have some when i get home

it's really all about will power imo.  if you want to quit, just quit.  manage the cravings by doing something that doesnt remind you or involve the time to smoke. 

and good luck mate, my day to quit for good is actually monday, ie tomorrow.  put your mind to it and say FUUUUUUUU to the smoke :)

TMAN

Re:Quitting Smoking - Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:13 PM ( #20 )
Xiphos

I quit in 2006 after about 6 years of smoking a 1 - 2 packs a day.  My situation is not typical, though.

I was born with asthma, so I shouldn't have been smoking in the first place.  Whenever I got a bad cold or something, I'd usually end up with lung problems because of my smoking.  I've had pneumonia 3 times that had escalated from a regular cold, just to give you an idea.  New Years Eve 2005 I started feeling like I was getting really sick, so I didn't smoke for most of that day in an attempt to lessen the coming blow.  The next day I woke up and could hardly breath.  I was rushed to the hospital, and spent more than a week there before being released (with a $30,000 hospital bill to show for it).  Essentially it was looking like a life or early death situation.  I didn't use gum or patches or anything, and I did have a few cigarettes with friends over the course of that year, but as of today I haven't had a cigarette since 2006.  The smell actually makes me kinda sick now.

I don't know if there's any advice you can draw from that, but there's my story.  I've quit many things, including some really hard drugs, but quitting cigarettes was easily the most difficult.  I feel much better for it, though.
Any and all help is of benefit. I do know what you mean, about the smell and also how hard it can be. As I said, when I've quit before, having my morning coffee or after dinner smoke was a killer. I guess part of it is addiction and the other is habit.

Tomorrow, and I suppose for a few days after are going to be hard, but I'm going for it, and will beat it this time.

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 96 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread