So now that there's some legitimate info regarding Battlefield 3, I really don't know what to do with myself. This has been my most anticipated game for over 5 years
, and now that it has a release window and some tangible info, it's time to make a thread about it. What we know:
There will be an open beta in September
Currently slated for an October 25th release
Will be released on PC/PS3/360 with the main focus being PC
Will support 64 players on PC
Will support 24 players on PS3/360
Will have prone(!)
Will have air combat beyond helicopters (jets!)
Will have single player/coop missions
support Windows XP. It's 10 years old people - it's time to move on
Frostbite 2 is a brand new engine with tons of new rendering and architectural changes over Frostbite 1(.5)
There are four classes
Single player will be about 6 hours long with 2-4 hours of co-op
More unlocks than in Bad Company 2
There is no commander role
DICE is trying to make a theatre mode work for BF3
No Mod Tools at launch, but they didn't rule out the possibility of there being any later on.
Three factions confirmed so far: USMC, Russians and PLR (People's Liberation Resistance; formerly MEC) Dev console confirmed
4 player squads w/ squad leaders
Multiplayer modes include: Rush, Conquest, Team Death Match & more
In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York
Frostbite 2 Specifics:
- Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.
- Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.
- Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.
- Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.
Uses a deferred renderer - meaning the engine can support hundreds, possibly thousands of light sources in a single scene.
DX10 and 11 only - No support for DX9 means no support for Windows XP which means you need Vista SP1 or Windows 7.
Full support for 64 bit - Yield higher performance from 64 OS's. We've had 64 bit CPU's for more than half a decade, yet very few games actually utilize it to any extent. DICE plans to change that with Frostbite 2.
- Remember playing Mirror's Edge and thinking to yourself, "my god this is pretty"? Well, part of the reason is DICE used pre-baked radiosity in the levels to give it a very natural and realistic look to it. Now DICE have been able to do that in real-time in FB2. Obviously pre-baked radiosity wouldn't work in a game like Battlefield 3, seeing is how the game has lots of... -
Destruction - We know that DICE are reworking the terrain and building destruction present in the Bad Company series, to what extent, we do not know.
That's all for know! I'll keep this thread updated from time to time when we receive new info. Rumor has it that we'll get an actual trailer at GCD which is only a month away! Additional Leaked Info:
Buyers of the BF3 Limited Edition (technically regular edition) will receive Battlefield 3: Back To Karkand, a mini-expansion pack that includes classic four BF2 maps - one of which we know to be Strike at Karkand. This was leaked by an EA Forum member. It was found on a storefront provider for EA's website (Digitalriver.com). Looks to be legit. Image Link Media:
Teaser Trailer (Feb '11):
1920x1080 wallpaper w/o logo:
1920 x 1080 wallpaper w/ logo: SCREENSHOTS!
Full Game Informer article!
<message edited by Pandamobile on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:48 PM>