Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 76 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Tetsuryu

• Total Posts : 2745
  • Reward points : 0
Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 9:29 PM ( #1 )

Developer: From Software
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment (Asia)
Release Date: Available Now

Publisher: Atlus (US and Canada)
Release Date: October 6, 2009

[ - Overview - ]

Demon's Souls is the latest Role Playing Game created by the famed niche Japanese development team "From Software," creators of such franchises as Armored Core, Tenchu, Otogi and Chromehounds. Created to be the spiritual successor to the infamous King's Field franchise also created by From Software, Demon's Souls™ brings hardcore RPG action to the PLAYSTATION®3.

Standard Edition : $59.99 USD (Artbook & soundtrack w/preorder)
Special Edition : $69.99 USD (150-page strategy guide and slip cover, artbook & soundtrack w/preorder)

Amazon US: Standard Edition $56.99 (Free Release-Day Delivery for Prime Members)
Amazon US: Deluxe Edition $66.99 (Free Release-Day Delivery for Prime Members)

[ - Storyline - ]

King Allant the twelfth, in search for power and prosperity, channeled the power of souls. He brought unprecedented prosperity to his northern kingdom of Boletaria. That is, until a thick black fog covered the lands outskirts, cutting out the kingdom from the outside world. Those who entered the fog never returned, but Vallarfax of the royal Twin Fangs broke free from the fog and told the world of Boletaria's plight. The aging King Allanti had awakened the Old One, the great beast below the Nexus, from its eternal slumber. And that a dark fog had swept in, unleashing soul-craving demons. The ones that lost their souls, also lost their minds. Chaos reigned, the mad attacking the sane. The Demons grow stronger and more powerful with each soul they devour. The legend was told from man to man, mighty warriors entered the cursed lands but none have returned.

[ - Classes - ]

Your starting Class in Demon's Souls is not a straitjacket. The term used in character creation is your "Origin", and it determines your initial attribute allocations, your starting Soul Level, and your initial equipment. You can eventually upgrade your stats in such a way that you could use any type of weapon, armor, or magic, but this will be many hours into your first character. Go with a character that has stats and equipment that lean naturally towards what you are interested in playing right from the beginning of the game, and upgrade your stats to support that role.

Note: Terminology and number of existing classes is subject to change for the North American release.

Knight

The Knight lacks in physical stats compared to other fighting classes, but makes up for it somewhat in his or her comparative mental refinement. He can access both miracles and magic without much work. Furthermore, he or she begins with a versatile equipment set.

Priest

Uses Miracle magic, has a high defensive power, good damage boost via strength, but won't be able to use certain weapons with any proficiency.

Thief

The basic rogue. Low attack with light armor, their agility is very high. Dodging and rolling is a breeze with them, as is lining up for backstabs (bonus damage) against enemies. The buckler they start out with is small, and they cannot readily use any of the shields that you find frequently in the beginning of the game (Knight's Shield, Heater Shield) because of Strength. Their insanely high Luck means you will get plenty of item drops and usually not be at a shortage of herbs. High starting soul level means above average stats, but more expensive to level up from the start.

Magician

Main magic class, but lacks the passive MP regeneration item of the Royal class, starts with Veil of Water to reduce fire damage and the Flamestrike spell, this is among the tougher classes to start with.

Temple Knight

In effect the temple knight is a knight who has traded a bit of starting equipment in order to use Miracles immediately. The starting halberd is a sweeping area effect weapon which is great outdoors but you'll keep hitting the walls if you use it indoors (try to get hold of a spear or sword for indoors). Don't bother buying new armor early on, just keep your starting armor in good shape and look for big shields.

Soldier

The basic balanced class, balanced stats with highs in physical stats at expense of intellect. Those who want an easier time getting used to melee combat might consider this class, but look for a shield upgrade as soon as possible.

Wanderer

A variant similar to the Thief class. High Agility provides a better offense, but you don't have ready access to magic, and start with no ranged weapon.

Barbarian

A strength-based class concentrated on melee fighting with blunt weapons, preferably. The complete lack of armor and a weapon with short range makes this class highly dependent on offense and evasion. Those who want a challenge during the early part of the game might consider this class.

Royal

Imagine a Thief hybrid, but with low luck and instead having the ability to zap enemies with offensive magic (Soul Arrow by default). It can be an extremely easy class to play in large areas but you'll need proficiency to survive getting mobbed in tight spaces. Initially equipped with perks like a MP regen Fragrant Ring, some Royal Lotus, and bonus MP from the Silver equipment.

Hunter

Small boosts to Luck and most stats make this a fairly balanced class overall, you can melee or use the bow with proficiency (bows can also be aimed first person, and have some zoom ability). Consider this as an alternative class to the soldier if you enjoy ranged classes, but not easy to get into Magic or Miracles.

[ - Cooperative Play - ]

In Demon's Souls, players can team up with 2 other players online (sometimes 3, apparently a glitch) to form a group of adventurers for a single level. The host (must be in physical Body form) will see a bright Blue message marker (which is left by players in soul form using "Blue Eye Stone"). You can check how many times that player was online and their ranking score percentage. Then you can choose to summon that player, he or she will be present in Blue Phantom form.

All four players receive Souls for their hard work and can team up to take out Bosses even faster and with better safety, but the Body form host may only summon blue phantoms for co-op in levels that have not been rid of their Boss Demon yet. After beating a demon boss, any blue phantoms will be granted their physical body back and go back to their world, but will not progress in their own story (for example you will not get trophy for helping a body form player beating the boss in blue phantom form, you have to beat it in your own game).

As the Co-Op session ends, each player is permitted to rate the other player(s) on a Grade system which stays with the character. So other players can know how good (or bad) a certain player is. Ratings are from best "S", through "A", "B", "C", "D", and lowest "E".

[ - Player vs. Player - ]

In addition to the Blue Eye Stone, Demon's Souls has the "Black Eye Stone" and it has a slightly different function. It allows a Soul form player to force their way into another Body form adventurer's game to hunt down and try to kill the opponent player. The adventurer who uses the Black Eye Stone becomes the "Black Phantom" and must either be defeated by the defending adventurer or kill the adventurer to gain Souls! When you are an invading Black Phantom, the enemies in the level are not hostile to you, but you can choose to attack them anyway (souls earned go to the host).

If the invading player fails to kill the host, because they somehow die by the environment of the stage (falling, rolling ball trap in 1-x, but not killed by the host or a blue phantom player) your Soul Level will decrease, deducting a level from your highest stat.

[ - Screenshots - ]

Credit to 'GamerSam' of GameTrailers

[ - Video - ]

[ - Reviews - ]

Eurogamer - 9/10

Dengeki Buyer's Guide - A/A

PSX Extreme - 8.8/10

Game Guys - A/A+

Gamer Limit - 9.5/10

PS3-Sense - 8.9/10

MyPS3 - 8/10

PST - 8.9/10

Trollitc - 9/10

The Review Busters - 8.5/10

Legendra - 4/5

CoPlaNet (Italy) - 8.6

TripleChat - 9.2/10

Gametard - 4/5

RPGFan - 84%

Examiner - 8.8/10

GameOn - 9/10

Pixel Verdict - 5/5

GameCritics - 9.5/10

PS3Hyper - 5/5

Game Focus - 9.3/10

ScrawlFX - 9/10

MeriStation - 9/10

The Entertainment Depot - 9.5/10

GamingExcellence - 9.5/10

Ace Gamez - 10/10

Gamertell - A-/A+

GameFocus - 9.3/10

The Hachiko - 3.5/5

Spawn Kill - 8.5/10

VGChartz - 8.7/10

PumpJump - 5/5

GameZone - 9.4/10

GamesRadar - 9/10

PSi - 90%

Critical Gamer - 9/10

GamePro - 4/5

CheatCC - 4.7/5

Gamervision - 6/10

Neoseeker - 9.5/10

Frictionless Insight - 4/5

PSU - 9/10

Gaming Age - A-/A+

RPGamer - 5/5

UGO Games - A/A+

WorthPlaying - 9/10

Digital Chumps - 8.6/10

Blogcritics - 5/5

Endsights - 5/5

Play Magazine - 9.5/10

RPGFan (North American Review) - 86%

ZTGD - 9.2/10

Digital Entertainment News - 8.5/10

PlayStation Insider - 9/10

HonestGamers - 10/10

GameTrailers - 8.9/10

Game and Player - 4/5

Edge Online - 9/10

SpazioGames - 7.8/10

Tech-Gaming - B/A+

GameSpot - 9/10

Gamernode - 9.5/10

Thunderbolt - 9/10

Gaming Evolution - 9/10

Just Push Start - 5/5

More to come...

[ - Related links - ]

Wikipedia

Wikidot

Wikia

Demon's Souls Wiki

Official Atlus Website

Official Demon's Souls Hate Thread

[ - PLAYSTATION NETWORK IDs -]

This list is a reference for those seeking assistance to battle through the treacherous world of Boletaria. Soul level must be within 10 levels for cooperative play.

Format: N4G Username / PSN ID (Asian or North American Version)

[ - Current List - ]

Jager / Vassily_06 (NA)

meepmoopmeep / meep_moop_meep (NA)

ReaperXL7 / ReaperXL7 (NA)

Tetsuryu / Tetsuryu (NA)

<message edited by Tetsuryu on Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:48 AM>
Proxy

• Total Posts : 1101
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 9:34 PM ( #2 )
Consider me hyped. :D

I'd like to know more about the co-op/competitive modes online?
<message edited by Proxy on Friday, September 11, 2009 9:35 PM>
Tetsuryu

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 9:44 PM ( #3 )
Take note Tretton, this is how it's done.

Proxy

Consider me hyped. :D

I'd like to know more about the co-op/competitive modes online?

Will do, as soon as I polish up the first post.
INehalemEXI

• Total Posts : 3933
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 9:57 PM ( #4 )
Ooh I want that armor in the 4th pic,  soul level 70 and have not come across it yet.
meepmoopmeep

• Total Posts : 8951
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 9:58 PM ( #5 )
are you only posting the US/EU reviews?

i never cared for this game before, then i read that one review and it really peaked my interest
(RPGfan http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Demons_Souls/index.html)

i like how it sounds realistic with the agility and all that and how it's super difficult but not cheap difficult.
how co-op depends on who you're with and how they play. if they help you or betray you.
 sounds like a great formula 

"This game will chew you up and spit you out..." RPGFan  

<message edited by meepmoopmeep on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:03 PM>

"so make the best of this test and don't ask why.
it's not a question but a lesson learned in time."
Tetsuryu

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 10:06 PM ( #6 )
@Meepster

Yes, I will continuously add them as they come. I'll search for more of the existing ones in a bit.

Scratch that off, I'll do all of them.

@Stalker

Want to wait for the NA release?
<message edited by Tetsuryu on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:50 PM>
Sunny_D

• Total Posts : 1663
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 10:09 PM ( #7 )
Wow, I have to admit this is the first time I have seen real pics and videos of the gameplay of Demon Souls. This thread is nice and I have to say I'm intrigued.
My sig was too big :( I should find another one.
INehalemEXI

• Total Posts : 3933
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 10:35 PM ( #8 )
Tetsuryu

@Meepster

Yes, I will continuously add them as they come. I'll search for more of the existing ones in a bit.

@Stalker

Wish I did wait would of got extras and been able to play with US folks.  Could not wait though, wish they would merged the servers so we could play with anyone from anywhere.
Proxy

• Total Posts : 1101
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 10:50 PM ( #9 )
meepmoopmeep

are you only posting the US/EU reviews?

i never cared for this game before, then i read that one review and it really peaked my interest
(RPGfan http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Demons_Souls/index.html)

i like how it sounds realistic with the agility and all that and how it's super difficult but not cheap difficult.
how co-op depends on who you're with and how they play. if they help you or betray you.
sounds like a great formula 

"This game will chew you up and spit you out..." RPGFan  

I'm going to steal your souls meep.  Remember this every time you walk around the corner.

(Ohh, and after I take them I will probably thank you, yet again, for introducing me to this game.)
<message edited by Proxy on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:51 PM>
LordMarius

• Total Posts : 4269
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 11:19 PM ( #10 )
Wow nice thread

I vote to put you in charge of all the hype threads

meepmoopmeep

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Friday, September 11, 2009 11:24 PM ( #11 )
Proxy

I'm going to steal your souls meep.  Remember this every time you walk around the corner.

(Ohh, and after I take them I will probably thank you, yet again, for introducing me to this game.)

did i intro you to the game?

RPGFan intro'd me to the game, after i read their review i was like "damn, i must try this game"

Tetsuryu

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:22 AM ( #12 )
I added the PLAYSTATION NETWORK IDs section for anyone wishing to add their name to plan for co-op sessions now (with current Asian releases) or in the future (North American version).

IDemonstalkerXI

Tetsuryu

@Meepster

@Stalker

Wish I did wait would of got extras and been able to play with US folks.  Could not wait though, wish they would merged the servers so we could play with anyone from anywhere.

That would have been awesome.

I can't blame you for it, I nearly cracked for an Asian copy myself the day before Atlus made the announcement.
MariusElijah

Wow nice thread

I vote to put you in charge of all the hype threads

Why thank you.

I have to say, maintaining a hype thread demands a bit of work. I'm hoping someone else would do a deserving one for Uncharted 2.
meepmoopmeep

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:26 AM ( #13 )
Tetsuryu

I have to say, maintaining a hype thread demands a bit of work. I'm hoping someone else would do a deserving one for Uncharted 2.

i would make a proper one but i'm really drunk tonight. (hence my Halo 3 ODLC presence )

i'll make one tmrw though.

but add me to the co-op list.

Tetsuryu

Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:42 AM ( #14 )
meepmoopmeep

i would make a proper one but i'm really drunk tonight. (hence my Halo 3 ODLC presence )

i'll make one tmrw though.

but add me to the co-op list.

lol meep.

I commend you for your willingness.

Sure thing.

2FootYard

• Total Posts : 1903
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:45 AM ( #15 )
Nice scenery.
sonarus

• Total Posts : 10451
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:46 AM ( #16 )
Someone needs to teach jack tretton how to make a hype thread. Uncharted hype thread is laughable. You don't make a hype thread if you don't wanna do the work. I would make one...but i don't wanna do the work

Great hype thread. I am sorta inbetween this and ninja gaide 2 right now and i'm leaning towards tha ninja

JL

• Total Posts : 1169
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:46 AM ( #17 )
I'll definitely be picking this game up when it drops here in the US. I'm very hyped for it, that whole "chew you up and spit you out" comment about the game is what makes me so hyped about the game. This one even makes it on my short list of games that I want if I can't get everything I want in October. Quite possibly only behind UC2. So I'll definitely be getting on this game.
TenSteps

• Total Posts : 7085
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:45 AM ( #18 )
Wish I had waited for the US version so I can play with the U.S. folk and not with the already strong players in the Asian version... hmm... I wonder should I buy this game again or not I mean I kinda like the cover of the US version better.
R.I.P Mori, you were always the most hyperactive friend I have ever had. In ways you were the heart of the House of Versiglia.
bahamut555

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:35 AM ( #19 )
yeah, this game looks really great and the reviews of the game are great too...

I´ll be here...Why...? I´ll be waiting ...here... For what? I´ll be waiting...for you...so... If you come here... You´ll find me... I promise.
Austin_SJ

• Total Posts : 7071
Re:Official Demon's Souls Hype Thread - Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:20 AM ( #20 )
stupid game not coming to europe
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 76 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread