Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs?

ReverseCycology

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 2:37 AM ( #1 )
I was wondering will GameStop or other retail stores that buy consoles, buy a PS3 that has blu ray drive or lens issue and can't read any discs? 

My girls younger brothers PS3 that's out of warranty, can't read discs and I already opened it up tried cleaning the lens but it still won't read discs, and I know I'm not going to spending $80 buckeroonies or so and I know the 15 year old boy doesn't have money to spend, to replace the lens or whatever on our own.  And I'm not sure if Sony will replace it since everything works except the ability to read discs.

It's a lose lose situation for him but maybe he can sell it for parts.
Polluted

• Total Posts : 18754
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 2:40 AM ( #2 )
I'd try ebay or craigslist.  Someone out there will buy it for parts.  Probably not Gamestop, though.

ReverseCycology

Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 2:51 AM ( #3 )
I read someone post before that Sony have a trade in offer where you can trade in your broken PS3 fat for a PS3 slim for $120.  Is this true if it is what are the requirements?  Do you have to be under warranty and your PS3 have to had YLOD only?  If anyone knows let me know, thanks.
Wildarmsjecht

• Total Posts : 2740
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 2:55 AM ( #4 )
ReverseCycology

I read someone post before that Sony have a trade in offer where you can trade in your broken PS3 fat for a PS3 slim for $120.  Is this true if it is what are the requirements?  Do you have to be under warranty and your PS3 have to had YLOD only?  If anyone knows let me know, thanks.

From what i gathered, ur console doesnt have to be in warranty, but you must not have opened it up and broken the seal. A friend of mine opened theres up quite a few times after his warranty ended to clean it up. He asked a Sony Rep about the trade-in program and they told him as long as he didnt open it, they would still take it.

PS3 Trophies

Razgriz
ReservoirDog316

• Total Posts : 56
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 2:58 AM ( #5 )
ReverseCycology

I found this.  Haven't read it fully but it seems to describe something about what you're talking about. 

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4249565&page=1

Hope this helps.
ReverseCycology

Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 3:04 AM ( #6 )
Thanks for the infos.  I guess his only option is try to sell it on ebay or craigslist.  Or I'll tell him to save up enough money so he can get a new blu ray drive or something and I'll try to fix it.  I wonder if anyone sells just the blu ray drives for the PS3.  Off to google I go.
sdrawkcab

• Total Posts : 224
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 7:33 AM ( #7 )
Gamestop stores where I live do not check the hardware that you trade in, but they will take your phone number and name so I don't know, I think they'll notice later on when someone buys it and returns it the same day...
BaSeBaLlKiD721

• Total Posts : 333
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 8:18 AM ( #8 )
I'm pretty sure they still take broken PS3's. They sell refurbished PS3's which are repaired PS3's... I have a friend that works at Gamestop and he says an used system is different than a refurbished system.

InFAMOUS1

• Total Posts : 8
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 8:36 AM ( #9 )
Gamestop/EB games will not test the unit.. I traded in a launch 360 after it RROD on me 8 times in one year... Last going off I got pissed, got in the car drove to EB and flopped it on the counter with 5 games and the guy said 260 bucks, I said I'll take an 80GIG PS3.... I never got a call or anything else for that matter... The fact is they refurbish them and still sell them at a profit.. Just go to gamestop get a credit... The only thing is you prob wont get much and if you plan on getting another PS3 then you are prob better off fixing that one as the credit<price difference. 
KillerPwned

• Total Posts : 1400
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 11:55 AM ( #10 )
Well when i worked at a gamestop we checked all the hardware because we had people try to screw us over quite a few times. Personally to me id just give u the full trade in as if it were working to be nice. But gamestop will give u a defective trade in for it. Meaning you wont get anything really for it. Like the other dude said ebay or cragis list is the way to go with this. Someone out there can repair it.

But about the console being open idk if they would take it then, its a gamestop employee`s job to check the hardware to see if it works or not be4 taking it in as a trade.
<message edited by killer_pwned89 on Friday, January 15, 2010 11:57 AM>
PS3Freak

• Total Posts : 1831
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 12:04 PM ( #11 )

When Eb games had the deal where you brought in your Ps2 to get $100 off a ps3. I gave them my ps3 that only turned on( didnt read anything). All they did was turn it on to make sure it worked. So i don't think they would even check, unless they do now.
Proxy

• Total Posts : 1101
Re:Will they buy a PS3 that doesn't read discs? - Friday, January 15, 2010 12:04 PM ( #12 )
+1 for game installs.

I do hate hearing my BD drive in use.  I don't want it to die like my PS2 did.  HDD's are cheap and replacable, use them please.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread